Can we ask for proof of a negative COVID test?

Jennifer35
Level 2
Seaside, CA

Can we ask for proof of a negative COVID test?

I've searched all over and can't find posts about requiring a negative test prior to arrival. Is this legal? I have a long-term guest coming from another country for work, and I live in the home. It's not possible to quarantine away from the guest. Thanks for any info you have.

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jennifer35   You can require whatever you need to feel comfortable, however, if this requirement was not in place at the time of the booking, it might cause problems as it was not a condition that existed when the reservation was made.  If there was subsequent communication allowing the guest time to comply and the guest refused to do so, then you might be able to cancel with extenuating circumstances.  However, being able to be tested, especially without symptoms, might problematic for any guest.  Also the negative test is only a results for the time the test was taken and the guest could be infected subsequent to that.

If this is a long term guest, perhaps you can express concern and seek feedback from the guest as to how to address the issue.  The guest is coming into a home, that while it may have been properly cleaned, the guest has no idea about your status.

In my city, shared home listings are not allowed to accept guests.  I actually agree as I would rather not add that factor into my life at this time.  

@Jennifer35 

If the guest is coming from another country, my understanding is many countries STILL require a 2 week quarantine even if the person provides proof that they tested negative for COVID-19 and they need to test negative once more at the end of the 2 week quarantine. At least this is how I'm told it is in S. Korea for all international incoming travelers. 

Henry and I also have a shared home private room listing. We can't control if a guest practices social distancing, wears a mask when going out, washes their hands as soon as they come home and practices good hygiene - we don't know where they've been, who they meet and what a guest might potentially bring into our home so we've decided to stop hosting. 

While I'm not sure about whether you can ask for proof, I think you could ask about plans for quarantine and awareness about the need for social distancing. Also, you could do a bit of research on what the requirements are for international travelers entering the U.S. and check how the guest plans to comply. If what you find out makes you uncomfortable, you should think about ways to get the booking cancelled with no penalty. Good luck~