Cancellation refunds

David501
Level 3
Cambridge, United Kingdom

Cancellation refunds

Does anybody feel as let down by Airbnb as I do?

Their policy to give guests a 100% refund with OUR money, without any form of consultation and despite our cancellation policy is an absolute disgrace and betrayal of the people (i.e. hosts) that helped make Airbnb what it is today.

Not only is this policy unnecessary and grossly unfair it is also, in the opinion of our Lawyers, unlawful. Their Extenuating Circumstances Policy states that THEY (not us) MAY (suggests consultation) refund guests in such circumstances. If Airbnb choose to refund guests with their funds this of course is their prerogative but to refund with our funds is a very different matter. In our Lawyers words, this is a misappropriation of hosts' funds; we prefer to call it theft.

Their cavalier attitude towards hosts' funds has cost our business £thousands in just 3 days and will put many in the tourism industry in financial dire straights. It's just too much money for us to ignore, so we have instigated legal action against Airbnb.

We are very reasonable hosts and are prepared to refund guest amounts far in excess of that detailed in our cancellation policy but to receive nothing for reservations that we have already incurred costs to process and prepare for, without any consultation and very little notice is simply not acceptable.

This nightmare that the world finds itself in will impact on all our of us, physically and / or financially but Airbnb still have an obligation to treat everybody, guests and hosts alike fairly and with repect, so why they expect hosts to take the full brunt of this situation defeats me.

Travel insurance companies are paying out (providing policies pre date CV outbreak) for forced cancellations and most guests would expect to lose at least a deposit for cancelling booking, so Airbnb's policy is unnecessary and one sided to say the least.

We welcome the views of all hosts, for and against Airbnb's policy. Hopefully Airbnb will read and listen to the responses posted. As they have closed their phone lines and email addresses, this or post seems to be the only way to communicate with them.

Best wishes to you all, David & Hannah.

34 Replies 34
David501
Level 3

Quite right, it's only fair.

@Helen3 

You are entitled to your opinion.

But when your premise is based on an illegally changed EC policy, your opinion falls flat on its face.

Contractually in it’s terms Airbnb make it clear that it reserves the right to cancel bookings and refund guests under it’s EC policy at any point or to refund guests on arrival if listing is not as described. 

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

Isn't it funny the mods steer clear of threads like this? They'd rather comment on things like redecorating and gardening tips. 

@Robbie54 

...Or creating games and sending emails to inactive listed members with direct links to how Airbnb have ended the SuperHost relief fund - and THEY didn't get anything - Yahh Boo! 

Ask a civil question about Airbnb charity accounts and donation amounts and... NADA.

In line with this thread to keep it on track and for clarification purposes; What exact date did Airbnb change their Extenuating Circumstances policy wording from 'Endemic" to 'Pandemic' and why were members not informed of this in line with their notification policy set out in the Terms which were agreed?

@Stephanie @Lizzie @Quincy @Nick @Katie @Airbnb 

You can but try Robbie.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 and @Robbie54 ,

Thanks for the tag. Ian is more familiar with the role of the OCM team here on the community center but I think it's worth outlining it again here for everyones benefit. As I'm sure you've seen, moderation is an element of our role in order to help foster a healthy environment for hosts to discuss and share tips here. This includes taking action that is inline with the specific community guidelines but also to act on things we think is in the best interest to the health of the cc overall. 

As much as we are able to, we may sometimes be able to get additional information on reported issues, feedback and complaints on specific posts relating to the platform but we are limited in what we can do as both we and this forum are not Customer support. 

I've mentioned before but will again that direct messaging is a far more prevalent part of our role as we would like to encourage and inspire hosts to post publicly so their contributions can spark conversations and provide advice to their peers. I think we all know that we trust the words of a fellow consumer/user of a product, in any capacity. 

As you pointed out @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 , we do try to drive positive and interesting topics, more so now than ever as we a lot of us are still stuck inside due to the pandemic - this reprieve is to support hosts getting ready to host again or provide some entertainment. At the same time, it's also important that what Airbnb is doing in terms of policy, product updates and the like is not missed - there must be a balance. As the article was shared last month, we only wanted to let certain users we hadn't seen in a while on the CC know about the important news - within that note is also a link to the June round up and some other lovely bits and pieces, should they feel inclined to have a look. We don't know before hand whether or not the user has seen the topic, nor do we know if they were invited so we can only apologise if offence was caused to any host that didn't find the message well.

Despite all this, it is actually very useful when the CC hosts tag us in topics - we do read each and every post but having a tag means we get to it quicker, allowing us to act should that be the necessary action - you can tag anyone from the OCM team. The same is said for "flag to moderator" - keep 'em coming! As always, we are just a DM away if it's something you need specific help on or if you're not comfortable posting publicly. 

I appreciate our non-hosting topics aren't everyone's cup of tea and I'm grateful to see those hosts that aren't interested in those chatting away in other threads that are more what they're interested in. You all make this forum a lovely, well-rounded place! Sorry for the essay 😉

Many thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie 

You know I'm all for well rounded...

But this bit from this thread.. can you complete the circle?

What exact date did Airbnb change their Extenuating Circumstances policy wording from 'Endemic" to 'Pandemic' and why were members not informed of this in line with their notification policy set out in the Terms which were agreed?

Thanks.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Absolutely @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 I've already asked internally for the policy writers precise date. From my recollection of our sharing in the CC, that update came around the time WHO updated it's verbiage and when we update this post here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Updated-March-13th-Coronavirus-outbreak-Information-on-Airb...

Let me get you confirmation, mind you!

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie 

Absolutely @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 I've already asked internally for the policy writers precise date.

That's very good of you. I have copies of the before and after it was just the change date I needed.

Thanks.

David501
Level 3

Hi Stephanie,

Are you able to ensure that Airbnb legal department are aware of the legal action I will be taking against them? I have asked for confirmation of this but have not received such. I need my notification of action acknowledged please.

Thanks, David

David501
Level 3

Hi Stephanie,

I'm all for positive and interest topics of discussion but I'm afraid the current issue is far more important than that. The majority of my income comes from holiday rentals and I'm fed up with being ripped off by Airbnb and their unlawful and hugely bias and unfair E.C. policy. Businesses are at stake here and Airbnb have blood on their hands.

I would like to know what will be done about this and how they plan redress the balance and support the hosts that helped make Airbnb what it is today. I have already started legal action through UK small claims court in Cambridge but remain hopeful that some sense will prevail before this hits the court system .... and the press.

David501
Level 3

mods?

Sophie122
Level 3
Olhão, Portugal

Right now I am expericiencing a similar situation. One of my guests had to cancel a reservation for August. However, not due to COVID. In view of his circustances, I granted a partially refund, which was a gesture on my side: The guest was happy to accept my proposal, but both to his and my surprise Airbnb asked for a free cancellation referring to the extenuating policy?! Both the guest and I have been trying to contact support, but were not able to. Consequently, I declined the cancellation and he received a request for proof. 

David501
Level 3

The way Airbnb are treating these cancellations, riding rough shod through cancellation policies, is just not right and cannot be lawful. 

Jen89
Level 5
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I am in exactly the same boat with a recent cancellation.  The guest and I had a mutually agreed partial refund terms more generous than my cancellation policy for a booking in August but when he rang AirBnB to confirm this the rep positively encouraged him to accept a no strings cancellation with a full cash refund!  When I asked the rep on what grounds he could possibly have his booking cancelled I was told that the guest had 'attested' that travel problems were preventing him from continuing with the booking. I was only involved with the decision once it was made and a message was sent telling me that the guest had got a full refund and that the booking was cancelled.

I asked to see the documentary evidence which I thought was required for a full cash refund and was told that none is required as the guest had 'attested' to the fact.  The guest was travelling by private car from England to Scotland!!  Not sure what travel problems there might have been there, then!

I have no problems with guests who have had their flights cancelled, who are under lockdown, who are in quarantine or any other legitimate reason to do with Covid which truly prevents them from travelling, being allowed to cancel on production of the evidence of a cancelled flight coupon etc but just to 'attest' makes a mockery of the system.  Is that how insurance works?  I think not.

The actual AirBnB Covid EC policy is this : If you booked before March 14th we will let you cancel for whatever reason you care to tell us (true or made up), so why don't they admit this?  Guests know how to work the system to their advantage and are doing so to the detriment of hosts.

The rep who dealt with this has now stopped answering my messages - you really couldn't make it up!

David501
Level 3

It's a disgrace. It is now very clear that Airbnb have no interest in or respect for their hosts.

I think it's time the public got to hear about this.