Cancellation request. Without a cancellation request

Boho0
Level 1
St Julian's, Malta

Cancellation request. Without a cancellation request

This is a first

I'm sure I'm not the only thinking how absolutely appalling airbnb have handled hosts during this pandemic, unapologetically taking the side of the customer. EVEN when the customer is wrong. 

So I had a guest already on the island (so not travelling), book 3 weeks with me. Now, my accommodation is a hostel and because of covid, I have limited rooms to 2 guests. 

So this booking comes in. Guest doesnt show up. Guest first emails saying hes in the north but will reach us in 5 days or so. Then after 5 days calls to say he will reach us later. 

When 'later'never came, actually emailed him asking if he would be keeping his booking or not. He didnt reply. Then the day after his original check out he emails asking to cancel because he was "very sick" and unable to travel (kindly note through correspondence he repeatedly said he was already here in malta), and requested a refund. 

I explained that since he didnt have the decency to cancel or to reply to my emails I wouldn't so much as consider this (of course, my tone was different).

He then proceeded to contact airbnb and he now has a FULL refund. Since they already paid me they said they would take it out of next payment due. Absolutely no way of contacting them and every message I send them gets diverted. 

This is not my first problem booking with airbnb, and I'm disputing one other. 

But this behaviour is absolutely shocking. 

How is a guests bad behaviour rewarded like that? And what can I do?

1 Reply 1
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Boho0 Threaten to take them to arbitration per their Terms and conditions.