Cancellations after 5/31 still covered under the extenuating circumstance policy AND...

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Cancellations after 5/31 still covered under the extenuating circumstance policy AND...

...the guests gets a full refund BUT the hosts gets absolutely nothing. See the email I got last night. 

Dear Donald,

The coronavirus continues to disrupt the travel industry, and millions of Airbnb hosts and guests are on lockdown.

We’ve been working with hosts like you to shape our ongoing response to the pandemic through over a hundred listening sessions in more than 30 countries. One thing we’ve heard is that you want advanced notice and options to engage guests directly when things change. Here’s what you need to know.

Guests may need to cancel June reservations due to COVID-19

If travel continues to be disrupted, the extenuating circumstances policy may cover 1 of your June reservations that were booked before March 15.

What that would mean for you

• If a guest’s travel plans are impacted by COVID-19, they will have the option to reschedule.

• If they need to cancel, they will receive a full refund or travel credit, and you won’t receive a payout.

• These reservations will not be eligible for any payment under our $250M support initiative, since the program only covers check-in dates through May 31.

Here’s what you can do

• Keep the dialogue going with guests. Some guests may need extra assurance right now—reach out to see if they have any concerns that you can address.

• Cancel penalty-free by April 30. Whether you’re unable to host or you want to open your calendar for longer term stays, you can now cancel any upcoming reservations this year booked before March 15. You won’t pay a fee, have your calendar blocked, or have your Superhost status affected.

3 Replies 3

I just read this email and I am so disappointed. I have been a SuperHost for over 5 years, I have been committed and loyal. Why is it that hosts don't get reimbursed when it is entirely out of our control? If it were the other way around hosts would be penalized some how. I feel like AirBnB gives all the allowances to guests but very little support to the hosts, who are the backbone of the community. I am so frustrated. Is there anyone who will listen to hosts facing financial despair because of ABNB unwillingness to offer adequate financial support to their hosts. I also was told that qualifying for the "grant" is subjective so ABNB decides who gets the grant, even if you are a SuperHost and they think you have enough money to survive you won't get it. How do they know what your personal financial situation is? 

Hollie6
Level 10
Page, AZ

This is incredibly disappointing.....especially after saying how sorry they were for not consulting us and doing this in the first place.....I think they should only offer full refunds for people who can leave their country and then still give us the 25% and if Airbnb doesn't want to pay just tell the guest this is the portion they have to pay or use for a future travel voucher. To leave us with nothing all the way into to June is devastating! This is my livelihood.

Karen783
Level 2
Sevierville, TN

What I am finding is that guests are using the COVID 'free cancellation policy' to cancel reservations that they have simply changed their mind about or have gotten a better offer, therefore making the host cancellation policy void. This policy is put in place to protect us as hosts and it literally means nothing at this time. My feeling is that if guests have booked in a post pandemic world they know the risk v responsibility as a traveller and should not be able to use COVID as an excuse except in the event  they have indeed contracted the virus or have come into contact with someone who has it. In that case a Doctors certificate would also be required.

If Air Bnb were to roll out a travel insurance policy all our problems would be solved!