[Celebration] The Gift of Giving

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

[Celebration] The Gift of Giving

The gift of giving to me is caring and sharing and making a connection with our Airbnb guests. It is my way of communicating my feelings that we appreciate them staying with us.

Maybe I am different in that I like to give and not always take. Maybe it was my upbringing in that my parents had shown and influenced us of their values, beliefs, and behaviours.

Generosity has always been part of my lifestyle and my approach to Airbnb hosting. By opening my home to others gives me joy, happiness, and a sense of wellbeing.

When I first started hosting, I decided to give a hamper of breakfast foods to get the guests started. This idea was taken from our experience of being Airbnb guests in 2014 in the UK and we shared hosts homes breakfast was supplied.

This is our Welcome Hamper that we give to our guests after introductions I give them the hamper and explain that it is a gift to get them started as most of our guests have a travelled for a minimum 2 hours. My rationale it is a gift, an Ice Breaker and that we are prepared to go above and beyond their expectations and we hope they have a memorable stay.

However, I am sure they have read it past reviews, but they are surprised with the quantity and presentation.

Hamper contents for 2 Guests:

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 1.19.16 PM.png

The approximate cost of the Hamper food comes out to be approximately $28.00 for 2 Guests. We add extra for each extra Guests but we do charge $25.00 per extra person per night with a minimum of 2 nights. Sometimes food is left because our guests eat out or they are Vegetarians and they have packed their own food.

We consider this token of the Hamper Gift is our extension of friendship and welcome to our Guests.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 1.22.16 PM.png

The Gift of Giving is extended to children staying in our Airbnb.

To me children are an important part of the family as they represent a shared connection of love and togetherness. Children are the future of our Airbnb business, and we share or show our values of family traditions and their well-being.

When I hear their laughter or tears it tells me we are all in this together. I love seeing their inquisitive faces around the garden enjoying nature and discovering items in the garden. We have set aside a small area with Shaun the Sheep, shells, metal insects, a bird house with a small Blue Wren, mosaiced balls amongst the plants.

The private garden where Shaun the Sheep lives:

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 1.34.11 PM.png

We try to cater for families by providing the extras for example, a Porta cot, highchair, baby bath. These are on request, but I offer these if I think the child’s age is indicated.

Other items that I provide I consider as a gift are; cot linen and disposable cot mattress protector, nappy bin, baby wash for bath, baby wipes, children’s crockery children’s eating utensil and a night light. I provide these items to make life easier for the parents as often something is left behind.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 1.36.12 PM.png

Hosting to me is Caring and Sharing.

What I enjoy is creating a memorable experience that goes beyond accommodation and I try to make the child or children feel welcomed and special during their stay.

This is where my other love of crafting and sewing comes into play. A colouring book is made with their name on and a small gift that may be bought or made by us. I consider it a small gesture that can leave a lasting impression and contribute to an experience to remember.

A collection of items we have made are below.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 1.36.24 PM.png

Lastly, We try to make the parents stay hassel free because the saying is

Happy Child Happy Parent in the end the review is what is passed on to the next Guest.

These are my garden friends that come to visit.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 1.38.29 PM.png

26 Replies 26
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Laurelle3, well done!
I agree that it is about making someone feel important and that something extra given, promotes a rapport and most people recognise the kindness behind it.

I also provide breakfast food items which are either eaten or not. Where possible, I try and find out if they have any dietary restrictions either for medical or religious reasons.

So the peanut butter, bacon or eggs may come and go. The cows milk may get swapped out with lactose free, soy or almond. Not expensive brands, but basics to get them started before they shop.  I just do basic cereals and fruit which works for me at the time of shopping. But always rolled oats and Weetbix for those needing simple. 

But as an aside, may I say looking at your beautiful beach vista, reminded me immediately of a soft pastel painting I did last year. It was from a beach not too far south from you, Narooma!  Keep smiling Laurelle and keep being the generous host that you are. 🌻
IMG_9283.jpeg

@Cathie19 thank you for your words.  I don't go along the path of asking for choices as I find there is enough food for or if vegetarians or vegans.

I find if they are strict on their diet they usually bring enough to get by but you are in a different position if you're guests fly in at 11 or 12pm and even later.

I love the thought that you mentioned on the zoom meeting of you late at night in the driveway with a touch to showing your guests where to park. 

It is amazing where we go beyond the duties of hosting to make our guests welcome.

What praise must be given to you with your paintings. I love how you master the sky and water. The colours and the real life look they have. 

If you were at Narooma you must have passed our door unless you went via Braidwood.

Next time you can make a pit stop with us.

Thanks @Laurelle3. Last year we actually travelled across from Canberra and headed south to Victoria for some less Antarctic weather! lol... This year we went from Canberra up through Blayney, Wellington and across to the coast at Newcastle.

But you never never know…. 🌻

Although I'm new to Airbnb, I'm eager to learn from everyone here. I agree with your suggestion and may consider it as well.

Thank you.

Paula2563
Level 3
Vancouver, WA

@Laurelle3 Such amazing hosts you are !  I love how much thought and care you put into everything you do, keep up the good work ! 😀

@Paula2563 thank you for your words. I do what I do because I care for others and always thinking how can I give a little back that will make a difference.

Thank you very much @Laurelle3  for sharing this.  Am a new member of the Airbnb Community, and this is very insightful about going the extra mile to make the guests' stay pleasant and memorable.   I just found this very valuable and just want to say 'Thank you'.

@Nature27 yes it can be daunting when you first start hosting on Airbnbing and it can be different if you share your home, live on site or nearby or remotely. Each has its positives and negatives. However, I live onsite and our cottage is behind the main residence, so it is easier to do the little extras without traveling.

Sewing and crafting are hobbies I enjoy, but I'm sure you have a craft that can use in your Airbnb to leave or give to your guests without costing too much. I just started with little steps and I am always adapting to each guest. I try different things and it is never the same.

My other words are give a little something and you will receive a reward whether it is a smile, a thank you note, or word of mouth shared with their friends which can lead to another booking and lastly I am mostly rewarded with a positive review.

Dear Laurelle.  Please thank you again.  You are such a good example of this community we are proud to be part of.

@Laurelle3 Oh wow thats a pretty cool idea. Ur guests must be thrilled.😍

@Allen340 thank you for your words. One of the things that I also take in is the first impression that my guests receive. This is part of the Gift of Giving.

This takes in the greeting and when I show my guests through the cottage how it looks simple not cluttered, smell clean air with no past guests cooking or personal perfumes and deodorants. I try to achieve this by open windows and one day between. 

My other thing is clean window sills as often the guests shut the windows. I make sure that the furniture is repaired or paint and varnish is looking good and often touch them up. I am always checking the walls for marks which are cleaned, patched or touch painted.

Another thing I do is put some fresh flowers from the garden in the bathroom and in the kitchen.often is is a sprig of greenery. I leave them a fresh towel set and say there is some old towels if needed.

These are the points that I take in consideration as part of Gift of Giving. I think I have to go the extra mile to make them feel welcome and I am not a hotel. I do the cleaning therefore I see these little things. I had lived in the cottage so I know all the nooks and crannies and I live onsite in the main residence.

Lastly. I take in the message that is written in the review left by the guest as tells me what was  pleasing. If  not, how can I fix it or improve and if it is positive to keep on doing what I am doing.

Allen keep enjoying Airbnb Hosting. Take care.

Laurelle from Downunder.

JERóNIMO11
Level 2
Mexicali, Mexico

@Laurelle3 Buena idea, gracias por compartir. Yo, les recibo con suficiente fruta de temporada y siempre ,he sido muy halagado por mis huéspedes. 

[Translation added by Community Manager] 

Laurelle, Good idea, thanks for sharing. I receive them with enough seasonal fruit and I have always been very flattered by my guests.

@Jeronimo11 thank you for your thoughts and words. CC Forum can help other Hosts with ideas that we can share, or that I like or dislike.

But I often take  something from their idea that is new to me that might fit into my style of Hosting or what can be acceptable or a benefit for my guests.

I am always learning from CC Forum.

When a Host replies most of the time I look at their profile and listing to get a feeling of who they are and what they offer and their style of Hosting.

What I read and gave me ideas from your  Airbnb's was to take a photo.

* Sunset and sunrise for my photos.

* No smog - as I try to promote our Airbnb as Sustainable.

* Getting around,

I thought I would take your idea of saying how far from Sydney, from the highway turnoff to Huskisson.

As I said I am always learning from other Hosts and how they have written their descriptions of their Airbnb. There is always something different that I can use.

Keep enjoying Hosting and the CC Forum.

Laurelle from Downunder. 

Warren246
Level 2
Pakenham, Australia

@Laurelle3 Yes, it's a great idea to give your guests a lovely gift for Christmas. It's difficult for me to do something similar, as I'm in Australia and my Airbnb is in Phuket Thailand. So I contacted my Guests who check out on Christmas Day, and asked them what time was their flight, they said 8pm. As my next Guests were not arriving until the 27th, I gave my cleaner Christmas Day off and gave my Guests a check out at 5pm, which is the time they had to leave for the Airport. They were very happy and grateful and appreciative of my Christmas Gift.