Check in rating....

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Check in rating....

I don't dig into my individual rating categories that much because I don't find anything but "cleanliness" and "responsiveness" super meaningful. But today I noticed a guest who gave us glowing feedback and said privately we were her favorite stay on ABB left us a 4 in the check in category. We have a keypad. She checked in with the keypad. There were not any problems with the keypad that I was made aware of.  I am not sure exactly how that doesn't meet expectations for check in? 

This is not a new guest to ABB and I am sure that this person understood how ratings work. Its not worth asking about as the stay is long over. I am a remote host and do not greet guests, but we do leave a curated goody basket (typically with wine and locally sourced snacks based on the guest's preferences) at check in with a hand written note. We also communicate a few hours after the guest arrives to make sure they are settled in and answer questions. Beyond that, I am unsure what more I can do to create a positive check in experience. Any thoughts on what else we could be doing?

And WHY oh WHY does ABB display your WORST rating on the app? I now have something that says "95% of recent guests gave the check in experience 5 stars" or something to that effect. Why not say "100% or recent guests said this place was sparkling clean?" or "100% of recent guests thought this space was accurately described" etc? Why point out the rating I have recently been dinged for? Makes no sense.

(I should never look at these individual ratings.....)

11 Replies 11
Alameda0
Level 2
United States

@Laura2592 Oh goodness, we just have to scratch our head and chuckle. I just received a glowing review minutes ago and and yet, 4/5 for Check In. I give detailed directions, an easy keypad to open, leave lights on everywhere (especially good lighting on front porch), and leave snacks, water and wine and follow up with a mssg. if everything is ok with arrival. I am scratching my head but one just has to chalk it up to guest perception or how she/he felt arriving at the moment? Or clicked on the wrong rating #? In any event, don't think too hard about it - it's the review and overall rating that is most important! 

@Alameda0 YES! We do all the same things. Every now and again we get someone uncomfortable with the key pad so we even have a hidden key that guests can use. Other than massaging them as they walk through the door, or hiring a bellhop to carry bags I am not sure what the heck else a "key pad check in" on a remote property should entail. Perhaps a serenade by their favorite crooner? A lock that dispenses lottery tickets? Champagne spritzed into their mouths out of a motion activated dispenser?

@Laura2592  LOL!! But you'd think that would be reflected in the Value rating...Wait, I did forget the organic chocolates on the pillows! I do love the idea of motion-activated Champagne spritzer! Now we're talking...

@Alameda0  If I left chocolates on the pillow, they would be melted in my climate by the time the guest checked in. 

Then I'd get 3*s for cleanliness because the bedding was dirty.  🙂

@Sarah977 wrote:

@Alameda0  If I left chocolates on the pillow, they would be melted in my climate by the time the guest checked in. 

Then I'd get 3*s for cleanliness because the bedding was dirty.  🙂

and the bugs that would be attracted to the melted chocolate...... there seems to be a huge % of humans who have never seen bugs before, and are hugely offended by them.  

@Gillian166  Ah yes, melted chocolate all over the pillow covered in ants. A very special welcome for those VIP guests.

What the bug phobes don't realize is that they are actually surrounded by millions of insects at any given time, even if they don't see them. 

I am totally fascinated by insects and there are hundreds if not thousands of different kinds where I live. 

There is a moth I've only seen here twice in 20 years- it's a tiny little thing, no more than half an inch across, if that, and quite non-descript looking. But it had a tail, almost like a tiny lion's tail, with a pink pompom looking thing on the tip that opened and closed like a sea anenome. 

I also once saw a salmon-colored praying mantis.

@Sarah977 wrote:

it had a tail, almost like a tiny lion's tail, with a pink pompom looking thing on the tip that opened and closed like a sea anenome. 

I also once saw a salmon-colored praying mantis.

ooooh, amazing!  you made me google, i see in SEAsia they have pretty pink ones. 

@Laura2592 wrote:

Champagne spritzed into their mouths out of a motion activated dispenser?

ok, if you offer that I will fly to the USA for a holiday at your place. 🤣

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 

I am a homeshare host and I do a pretty thorough in person check in. That, together with communication, has always been my highest ranking category.

Still, every now and then, you get a guest who dings you for check in and it always makes me scratch my head. I can think back to a few examples:

- Guests who did not speak English and had to bring their daughter to translate. They were annoyed that I was not able to do the check in in their native tongue. While I would love to be able to speak the languages of all my guests, that might be a bit ambitious seeing as I've hosted people from 50+ countries...

- Guests who arrived hours before check in (even though they agreed to the check in time in writing in advance) and were annoyed that the listing wasn't ready or that I wasn't home. That used to be a frequent one when I still hosted short term stays. Not being able to check in at any hour of the day or night that they choose, regardless of whether the previous guests have checked out yet, seems to be the biggest cause of a lower check in rating.

- I agreed to let a guest drop her bags off early at very short notice, went to meet her at the car and bring her and her suitcases to the house, carried them up three flights of stairs, waited for her to come back later in the day and gave her a proper tour etc. etc. still gave me 4* for check in. When I asked her why, she said it was because the listing was over her budget.

- Guests who completely ignore the very clear directions I send them and also cannot seem to use Google maps or similar and get lost even though they only need to walk a few minutes down the same road from the station and get lost may also mark you down.

@Laura2592  I honestly would not get stressed about the occasional 4* rating for check in if it is not a common problem for you. Some people are just dim.

Linda356
Level 2
Burradoo, Australia

Just accept that some people no matter what will not give 5 stars. Best just get over it.  It took me a while but that is just how things are.

Sandra957
Level 3
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Just annoying when guests give you a sparkling review and comments they will be back again but mark you down ,in my case location and value for money although I say in my listing I am not in the city centre and transport is advisable !  But hey ho that’s life and should the guest decide to book again if I refuse her booking will be a negative action according to Airbnb and probably lose my superhost status  !