Communication-would you cancel if you had a weird feeling?

Marissa160
Level 10
Dallas, TX

Communication-would you cancel if you had a weird feeling?

Hi all! I come to you for help again! I have a guest that booked a couple months ago and communication has been “weird” for lack of a better term. He would ask a question and I would answer it, then he will respond and basically ask me the same question again.  He asked a lot of questions about the privacy of my location and our hot tub. Today, he asks to come a night early and I share the cost difference with him, then he asks me to tell him the cost difference! I am just not sure if he’s a good fit or maybe he isn’t reading or understanding. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt since I’ve had other first time Airbnb users and it’s all been fine. What do you all say? Thanks! 

21 Replies 21

Ugh. Sorry he was such a jerk. Who sees a cabinet that’s unlocked- obviously in error- an cleans it out. Please leave an honest review of this guest. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Marissa160  " I want to give him the benefit of the doubt since I’ve had other first time Airbnb users and it’s all been fine." 

I'm late to the party and so sorry to hear that the guest was a major pill after all! Ugh. But now you know first hand, to never ignore those red flags. I always make these yay or nay guest decisions based on the red flags the guest throws out. Period. First time user but no red flags? Fine. First time user with more red flags than he can wave with two hands? Nope.

How satisfying it will be to write this review though, lol.

@Colleen253  I know, I am so bummed that I even accepted. I will definitely get better at this. I don’t even know where to start with this guy on the review, he did some other really strange things during his visit too. I wish I could privately tell him how disappointed I am that he ate all my snacks : ) 

Hugs. We all got one of these early on. It was an eye opening lesson. One of my early guests didn't tell us that one of the kids he was chaperoning for a sports event (there were 4 kids) threw up all over the bedroom then used my new towels to clean up and threw them in the trash. I also found chicken wing bones under the bed.

He was a red flag I ignored. I even allowed an extra person. I was new then. Never again - trusting our gut has been a hard lesson to learn. 

Welcome to hosting. This is a great hosting community to be part of.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

Please detail everything in his review so he doesn’t come here!

And thanks for letting everyone know about this annoying twit. He probably thinks he didn’t do anything wrong and had such a wonderful time he can’t wait to do it again.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

Guest appears to be extremely stupid” should be a valid reason for cancellation.

Stupid people do stupid things and, unfortunately, American society caters to them from cradle to grave.

Leiloni0
Level 4
Murrieta, CA

For me, it depends on how long the booking is for. If it’s only a few days, I can hang usually put up with it. Another strategy is to see if can get them to cancel. Canceling will give you a penalty and they will block the dates. It also can impact you Super Host status.