Corona cancellation

Karen783
Level 2
Sevierville, TN

Corona cancellation

I have a guest traveling by car from New Hampshire USA to stay in my cabin in Sevierville TN. She has just asked to cancel and requested full refund, despite my cancellation policy, due to the Corona virus. We have no cases in our area at this time. My heart says give her a refund, but my business mind says no. Any ideas ????

16 Replies 16

My heart says that she should have gotten travel insurance.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Karen783 

I am so sorry and please under no circumstance initiate the cancellation. 

If your end goal is to have this reservation cancelled you can ask her to initiate the cancellation process and you would communicate for airbnb to issue her a full refund- this way it is a mutual cancellation. 

Realistically she should cancel and any monies lost should be covered by her travel insurance. 

In the case you want to play hardball just say that all cancellation  processes and fees are handled directly by airbnb and ask her to please let you with plenty time as to be able react accordingly. 

Good luck to you.  🙂

Fred185
Level 2
Windsor, CA

If you don't think this particular guest will return,  use your business mind and collect 

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Get used to it, we are all seeing cancellation requests and they will just go up from here on out. Perhaps prepare a couple of template emails to send to guests who want to cancel last minute since this won't be the first and last cancellation request due to the virus.

William640
Level 2
Roswell, GA

Janet--And-Doug0
Level 2
Louisville, KY

I also just had my first cancellation because of the corona virus. It is in my area. I do have a flexible cancel policy so will have no recourse. I am sure this will not be the last.  I wonder if we will be able to re-coup any lost revenue with any of the federal small business relief?

I also just had my first corona cancelation and I’m debating what to do. This is our high season and the guest only canceled because MLB spring training has been canceled (not because of corona fears).  Suggestions? 

I guess if they are not cancelling out of Corona fears I would not issue a refund. Maybe suggest other things or activities that they can do in the area.

Michaela66
Level 2
Carmel Valley, CA

I have had several cancellations, the most recent was 3 night stay for a guest traveling by car who cancelled very late the night before she was due to arrive. Weirdly airbnb did not give me any options regarding the refund-just cancelled and opened up my calendar, I rely on the income to pay my mortgage etc. So I had the idea to run a promotion since I now had a rare open weekend. I put 25% off and rebooked within hours. He was from Switzerland and only stayed 1 night since he heard the Trump announcement last night he amended his reservation and my calendar was open again and I already have a new booking for tonight through Sunday-guests within my state. Good luck to everyone! 

Valentina808
Level 1
Austin, TX

Today,  I just have my first cancellation which does not fit the Corona virus cancellation policy. I am trying to figure out what is the right thing to do for both?  I am considering offering a credit to be used within two years that would also be transferable. Is anyone else considering other alternatives to either no money back or all money back?

I thought about that but instead just offered the full refund. Within 3 hours I have filled the vacancy with another guest who is staying 3 rather than the original booking of 2 nights. Sometimes the universe throws it back at you. 

Sky13
Level 10
United States

@Karen783 Karen783

In the case of a pandemic or other unexpected catastrophe, Airbnb should have something in place to protect hosts. After all, hosts are the reason why they exist. We take our properties off of the rental market so all of us can do business and prosper. This is no small commitment as you all know! Airbnb seems short sighted in this regard.

In the case of normal operations,  Airbnb should offer guests trip insurance. It is a simple thing to do. Just like the airlines. This would cover hosts and guests, as well as greatly reduce the impact on hosts when a cancellation (usually last minute) does happen... But despite the outcry of hosts around this call for policy change, Airbnb does nothing. What can be done to get Airbnb’s attention?? 

Rachel1421
Level 2
Omaha, NE

It won’t matter what you decide, if they tell Airbnb it is because of coronavirus they will override your policy and refund them in full. It is devastating us, I’ve had 20 cancellations in the last 48 hours. I have a strict cancellation policy, but there is nothing I can do.

@Rachel1421 

Same story here. Complete devastation in high season.
My standard reply to any guest that reaches out is this:

“Hosts are no longer in charge. Please contact Airbnb directly with questions.”