Corona virus NYC

Karina-Margit0
Level 1
New City, NY

Corona virus NYC

Hello, 

Given the current evolving nature of the COVID-19 global emergency, I am increasingly concerned about hosting guests in my home. I have someone coming this weekend for a week, but what if NYC declares a state of emergency during that time? I will need to be back in my home to prepare. How do we handle this mindfully given all that we do not yet know? There are, as of now, no cases in New York, but we are a dense urban center—and if/when it comes, we are not advantageously positioned given the vector-based nature of the virus. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

Karina

2 Replies 2
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Karina-Margit0 your concerns are very valid and although many governments (including ours in Australia) have shut their borders to people to people travelling from China, the virus is still managing to spread, albeit slowly, around the world. @Yadira22  just posted the following tips from WHO: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public 

I suppose you could also ask guests where they are travelling from before accepting bookings. I don't know if you get many Chinese guests,  but I get loads, and my bookings are currently down by 50%. I'd much prefer that though than having to worry about the virus coming into my home.

I have a similar problem from another end . Guest wants to cancelled and full refund . Out of a 7 group 2 of their friends can’t come due to flight ban . The rest are fine , flying Friday morning and their issue is now the place is too much for their smaller group . I feel bad but they book since August last year and for 10 days . I could have it open to their guest with enough time . Airbnb according to them said they will get a full refund . That hursts me . Anyone having these issues as well ?