Coronavirus and Hosts

Coronavirus and Hosts

Dear Airbnb,

The impact of COVID-19 around the world is unquestionably unsettling and as a result policies and procedures are being put in place rapidly. This often results in shortsightedness. 

As 20+ year home sharing family and a host through Airbnb for 7 of those years, I feel that is exactly what is happening here.  While I understand the logic and fairness behind altering cancellation policies in times of extenuating circumstances, in this particular situation it is the hosts who are being hurt the most. We are loosing 100% of our income which simply is not fair. Just as it would not be fair for guests to lose 100% of their payment. I feel there should be a fair split between host and guest or Airbnb should offer some compensation to its hosts. Without a community of hosts Airbnb could not exist. There needs to be more consideration for the foundation on which your business is built. 

Peter

1 Reply 1

Airbnb needs to handle refunds and should pay you dependent on your terms of cancellation policy. Hosts are no more responsible for Covid than the guests who booked reservations. If it is “strict” cancellation then it is only fair guests split the unexpected hardship 50/50.. If Airbnb corporate wishes to make a PR statement by refunding guests “in full” they can do so from their own corporate pockets - not from hosts . Next time Airbnb should offer guests travel insurance like other sites. Airbnb should still deposit the 50% payout funds in your account.