Covid-19 booking. Host not replying to any forms of communication.

Covid-19 booking. Host not replying to any forms of communication.

Where do we stand, my wife and I bought and paid for a mini-moon break here in the UK for our daughter and her husband. It was for mid June 2020. My wife has sent messages to discuss this as know hospitality would be shut until the government said otherwise. They have had to cancel their wedding due to covid -19 so we have sent a date change request, still no response. Found a phone number, no reply, sent message via Facebook, just a canned response. What can we do next? I cannot afford to lose over £300 and rebook and pay again as I am still furloughed and on less money. Considering this is our first booking it is leaving a very bitter taste.

6 Replies 6

@Michael4995 It depends. Did you place the booking before or after 14 March? 

5th Feb it was paid.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Michael4995 If it is illegal to stay in the accommodation, as is the case in England at present, you have a frustrated contract and case law suggests you should get your money back. If you booked before March 14th this is relatively easy - Post March 14th you might need to invoke a more legalistic approach as Airbnb seem to think that post March 14th you knew about the virus. I am not sure the courts would agree with them.

Have you tried cancelling the booking on Airbnb website? If they give two options the try 'further info' button as this allowed my guests to get a cash refund (booked prior to March 14th)

Finally it is against Airbnb terms and conditions to book for a third party so I suggest you don't major on this fact.

I have now applied for a full refund as paid before March. We have given them plenty of opportunities to communicate and change the dates with no response. No option but to cancel due to the government guidelines, had to supply a screenshot as part of the claim. Shame but my hand was forced.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Michael4995 Good to hear you have got (or will get) your money back. I wonder if the host has just given up or gone out of business as many sadly will having had their income dry up for some 4 months and counting.

Impressed, received a full refund into our bank account in a matter of hours. Shame as liked the set up the host offered. However with no communication what else could we do? Preferred to have the dates changed but even that wasn’t responded to. As said could have closed the business and given up, but they could have communicated this to allow closure.