Covid cancellations

Linda3000
Level 1
County Kerry, Ireland

Covid cancellations

Hi I have guests arriving from Dublin they are planning on coming even though Dublin is in lockdown, I don't think they should come but if I cancel its €50fine for me. I don't know what to do, can you please

Linda 

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Linda3000 

If Dublin is in lockdown and part of the lockdown regulations are that residents who  aren’t allowed to travel outside the city/county - then call Airbnb explain that and ask them to do a penalty free cancellation. 

Do take a screenshot of the regulations to share with Airbnb.

Linda3000
Level 1
County Kerry, Ireland

Thanks Helen that worked out fine. The guests was upset of course because its ADVISED not to travel and not forbidden. But I think I'm right to cancel. 

Hi @Linda3000 I think your approach was correct and wish my recent host had acted that way. Melbourne was recently put into sudden lockdown which meant it was illegal to travel to Sydney. My host refused to give me a refund and told me that for a service fee of $100 I could rebook but the only time available was at a 30% higher rate which I would have to pay. Such an unsympathetic and unflexible response to something I had no control over. A really bad Airbnb experience and has made me want to avoid dealing with hosts who are professional rental agents and not the actual owner.