Customer service

Customer service

I am hoping someone can provide me with help.  In March, I had to cancel due to the travel ban related to COVID.  I booked a place on March 14th for September, that was 100% refundable.  In April, I received my credit from the place that was canceled in March.  However, AirBNB’s policy states you can only use a credit with your first payment.  I emailed my host and asked her if I could cancel my booking, only to rebook immediately, yet pay the full amount with my credit.  She agreed, and I confirmed this with AirBNB.  I canceled and rebooked with her, however within this time, she changed her cancelation policy from 100% refundable to 50%.  I was never informed until I went to cancel my trip in June. She refused my refund.  I have a doctor note stating that I should not travel due to a medical condition.  I tried to cancel to get even my 50%, and AirBNB stated they will refund me $0, as I used a credit to pay for this. I am appalled. I have until September 4th to cancel, yet I cannot get on the phone with an Airbnb rep.  Nobody will help you unless you are 72 hours out. I have messaged, called, tried everything.  I’m afraid if I cancel, I will have zero chance of getting any money back.  If I wait, I am afraid I won’t get any back.  I am about to lose $2,000 because my host changed her policy without informing me.  I am incredibly disappointed in AirBNB’s lack of customer service.  Can someone please please tell me how I can get in touch with someone immediately? I’m sorry for the long post, but I don’t know where else to turn. Thank you!

1 Reply 1
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Lori-and-Jesse0  Although your post made me feel like this - https://youtu.be/2ZksQd2fC6Y - on the first read-through, I see now what happened.

You write, "She changed her cancelation policy from 100% refundable to 50%.  I was never informed..."  But before a guest can complete a booking, he/she is asked Do you understand the cancellation policy? or something along those lines.  It's a real caveat emptor moment.

I do think it's horrible that your credit, at least, won't be returned to you.  But I'm not sure there's anything Airbnb can do even if you are able to get them on the phone.  The smart move would be to have a conversation through messages with your host and ask if she would consider refunding something if she's able to re-book the dates cancelled.  Some hosts do, some don't.  But she can't  re-book the dates if you don't cancel, so that would have to be your next step.

I assume any flights you had booked for this trip were 100% refundable so you're all set there.