Day 15: This spread is no joke!

Alexandra624
Level 3
Annecy, France

Day 15: This spread is no joke!

A few years ago, we went to Canada. A trip we decided to take before being thrust into the hectic adventure of parenthood, as I was 4 months pregnant at the time. Before I left, I learned that I had gestational diabetes. Ouch! And here I was, dreaming of poutine and maple syrup popcorn galore!  

But I discovered in Canada a recipe that I used (and abused ^^) throughout my pregnancy and that still delights the whole family: apple butter. 

An incredibly yummy spread, not very sweet, with a fondant texture and a warming flavour, just like a big hug! 

Alexandra624_0-1671101738554.gif

Ingredients

• 800g Golden apples
  • 1 vanilla pod
  • 80g maple syrup
  • ½ teaspoon of 4 spice mix, or gingerbread spices
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 4 heaped tablespoons white almond puree (no added sugar)
  • ½ teaspoon of sea salt

Tips:

• It's even better if you let the apples age a bit (when the skin starts to wrinkle 🤣
  • Maple syrup is a great anti-diabetes ally, but its glycemic index is quite high. Choose agave syrup instead for a lighter but just as tasty recipe.
  • Short of gingerbread spices? Opt for cinnamon. 
  • You don't have a vanilla bean? 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract will do the trick 😉

Step 1:

Peel the apples, remove the cores, and cut the apples into pieces.

Open the vanilla pod in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds with the tip of a knife.

Step 2:

Put the apples in a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of water, the vanilla, maple syrup, spices and vinegar.

Cook the apples, over medium to low heat, until they are reduced to a compote (20 to 30 min), stirring regularly. The idea is to obtain a nice compote. 

Leave to cool for a few minutes, then add the almond puree and the fleur de sel and blend (I use a hand blender) until the texture is smooth. 

Now you just have to pour it into a jam jar! With the quantity of apples I suggest, you can fill a large 650g jar. 

Step 3:

Place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours before eating. Personally, I leave it overnight. 

The apple butter will keep for 10 to 15 days maximum. Remember to put it back in the fridge between each use. Otherwise it may ferment. 

This spread spreads essentially just like butter! Light, tasty and original, it will enhance your brunches, breakfasts or desserts. It replaces butter on toast, pancakes, etc. It can also add that little extra kick to yoghurt, cake or madeleines! 

→ My suggestion for Christmas: apple butter, a homemade gourmet gift!

• Buy small jam jars (Mason jar ...) and fill them with apple butter.
  • Choose pretty ribbons, cords or raffia, add small decorations like a small Christmas tree, mini Christmas baubles... 
  • Finish with a kraft label with the name of the person to whom you are going to give this little treat.

This recipe accompanies us all through the autumn and into the winter. My dad loves it and I can be sure that if there are any in the fridge... he'll leave with it 🤣 Anyway... Success guaranteed!

Hôte en Haute-Savoie ? Rejoins notre Club de la Communauté local

10 Replies 10
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Yayy!! Now I know what to do with all those apples which have had a prolonged stay in my fridge😂. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe @Alexandra624 😍.

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

I will definitely be making this, thanks @Alexandra624 ! Do you eat it by itself on bread/toast or?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Alexandra624  yum. I will add this to my xmas baking list. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 I've got a loooong Christmas baking list and have also added @Alexandra624's recipe to it but then I'm curious, what's on yours so far?

Always keen to expand my repertoire 😋

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Emilie  Russian Honey Cake. that's the big one we want to tackle. 

we always make rocky road, and my daughter wants to make gingerbread this year. and not "baking" but we are going to try to make bath bombs (for us and our guests)

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Gillian166 

MASSIVE fan of Rocky Road here... what recipe do you favour?

Jenny

-----

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Jenny  we like to use turkish delight, but we also put in things like crunchies, malteasers, cherry ripe... just some different things to take the place of the "jelly" item, fill a bowl with marshmallows, almonds (or pistachio for boujie option), coconut, and mix in melted chocolate, put into silicon moulds. my daughter made some last night, so tick that off "my" list haha. 

We used to make a xmas tree version too, for the Xmas table, but it's just SO sweet. I did them as gifts one year, they look so cool. 

Austock000079757.jpg

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you for sharing this tasty recipe! I might give it a go! 😃

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Alexandra624 I find this receipe interesting. I hadn't heard of almond paste so had to look it up if I could buy it near by. With the apples I can see it going with yogurt.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

I'm going to have to give this a try @Alexandra624! I think it would taste great with Scotch pancakes.

Thank you for the tip about diabetes, that's really helpful for me.

Jenny

-----