Dirty/Unsafe

Michelle2274
Level 1
Phoenix, AZ

Dirty/Unsafe

Hello! I have rented many times before never have I experienced what happened last night. My 12 year old daughter and I drive across country to move permanently. Due to Covid-19 we moved earlier so renovations on my house aren’t complete. I planned on staying in a AirBnb condo near my home for 3 weeks. Upon arrival last night, the condo is in a very unsafe neighborhood. We arrived at 1:30 am and people were hanging out. There was no parking so we had to park far and walk. I’m a single mom and I was terrified for my and my daughter’s safety. Then the condo was filthy and floors were sticky. So many dirty, broken and up kept things. I cannot stay there. I already paid for 3 weeks. The crazy things is ... I read the reviews prior to booking and they were good! I don’t understand it! I took pics before I left. What can I do to get a refund? I booked another place now. Thanks so much 

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

you need to report to Airbnb customer services within 24 hours of check in.

@Michelle2274    The host is not responsible for the neighborhood (it's the guest's responsibility to research the location), so the fact that you didn't feel safe in that environment isn't worth mentioning. However, it certainly is the host's duty to present the property in clean condition, with all advertised amenities working properly.

You can make things a lot easier on yourself if you read the Help info easily available on the website/app before taking action, especially if you expect a refund. Here's a link explaining the refund policy: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/544/

If your issues with the home's cleanliness don't fall into the list of conditions that pose an immediate health/safety risk, you're expected to contact the host and give them an opportunity to fix the problem. If they are unresponsive or unable to remedy the issue, you should be entitled to a refund. Be sure to act quickly, as you have a window of 24 hours from the check-in time to initiate your claim with Airbnb.

Based on what you describe, I think you'll probably be granted a refund for your stay, but it might take awhile because the customer care lines are overwhelmed with pandemic-related cancellation issues. I hope you never encounter a problem like this again, but if you do - I suggest that the first thing you do is contact the host (on the platform, so there's a paper trail) with a detailed description of what the issues inside the property are. Once again, be sure to omit anything that is out of the host's control, such as the characters on the street or the difficulty finding parking, unless the listing promised otherwise.

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

The usual clear & accurate advice one expects from Andrew! How is life in a civilized country? XO Sally