Does pandemic moratorium on renter evictions apply to long-term guests?

Michael3546
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Does pandemic moratorium on renter evictions apply to long-term guests?

After 2 months of no bookings, I started getting several long-term stay requests just in the past week. Each one is similar in that they make a request for 1 month, but send a message asking for a discount for a longer-term stay of 3 to 6 months.  I'm wondering if this is due to the pandemic, and people needing to downsize, move etc...  Or if these are bots as the guests have no reviews or just one review.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

My concern is that with a longer term stay, do guests gain renter protections that would make it unable to evict them should they fail to pay?

4 Replies 4
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

The laws about renters are very different than those about short term guests & you should find out what the law says in your area. There is state law & different cities may have stricter stuff in place. Landlords customarily ask for references & security deposits and have tenants sign rental agreements. Property management companies that handle these things for a fee do this for their clients. These are real, verified references, actual deposits and legal contracts.  Knowledge is power, good luck.

Rose422
Level 6
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have also had enquiries from local guests wanting to stay for a few nights for a "change of air" and I had funny feelings. One of the guest had a negative review for being super disrespectful and I asked them to withdraw their request. I am not entirely sure if hosts are protected during those times (I am in California) or we have to foot the bill. I would rather not to host in this case. I wonder if you both had any further updates.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In the UK we are in full lockdown so can only take guests who are key workers, in-between homes etc @Rose422 

What does Covid legislation say in CA?

If a guest has a negative review as you know you can just decline the booking. 

I wasn't quite clear what you are referring to in terms of 'footing the bill'. What bill are you referring to?

Thank you Helen, 

Here in California things are opening up slowly, I checked with Airbnb, they are able to hold the guests accountable financially if they wish to extend their stay. I meant the eviction moratorium here allows guests to stay without paying but it looks like this is for longer term tenants. My booking window is currently less than 31 days. 

Take care.