EC COVID-19 starting date has been moved up

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

EC COVID-19 starting date has been moved up

Please be aware that Airbnb is now moving up the starting date for COVID-19 EC. Before it was reservations made before March 13. Now it is on or before March 14. While seems to be a small change, it allowed a couple more people to cancel with full refund. I had a couple of bookings when my calendar was opened up by all the cancellations on the 13th and I dropped the prices. They kept my calendar blocked smack in the middle of a long empty span and now got full refund. 

2 Replies 2
Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Inna22 

The COVID EC policy was updated a couple of times last week, as the travel ban situation changed very quickly towards the end of the week, with the newest terms (March 14 - April 14) being released last Saturday. 

However, it appears that Airbnb has been retroactively applying the new 100% refund terms retroactively, to bookings that had already been cancelled and refunded, in line with previous canx policies, up to two weeks before the March 14 policy was introduced. So even though guests had already been refunded 50%, for example - in line with the policy in place at time of cancellation - Airbnb have been allowing them to come back and reclaim the remaining 50%, 

I've also received a couple of reports (and seen the communication between host and guest), where the guest was quite happy with the 50% refund, and didn't go back to Airbnb looking for the other 50%, but Airbnb arbitrarily refunded them anyway. 

The reality is.. CX is in meltdown. The agents are swamped with calls, don't know whether they're coming or going, the Terms are changing every five minutes, and in many, many cases, rulings are being made and penalties applied that are completely outwith the stated policies (nothing new there, just on a much bigger scale this time)

Anyone who has had guests refunded that they believe to be in breach of the latest EC policy, really only has the option of enduring the torture of trying to get through to a reasonably clued-up CX agent in the hope of having the decision overturned, or letting it go. It's all just one humongous clusterf**k, really. 

@Susan17 And of course the opportunists are popping up and are out of control. A guy cancelled with me, got full refund and fully admitted that he would be traveling somewhere else instead. Massachusetts our of all places- even more infected state than Illinois. I called CS, they agreed it was wrong but said they were no longer reversing any refunds.