EC should have a time frame for filing

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

EC should have a time frame for filing

I would like to start by saying that I do not think extenuating circumstance policy should exist at all. If it is bound to stay, there should be a time frame for filing. For example, I had guests who knew their flight was cancelled three weeks ago. However, they said they would travel anyway and chose to keep my calendar blocked for mid may. Way after our shelter in place was extended. Now they don't want to travel anymore and get full refund. This was the only reservation blocking the entire month smack in the middle not letting me take a month to month reservation. Of course I could have cancelled them but I kept my responsibility to them as a host. Just like hosts are required to decide if they are keeping all reservations by mid may, guests should have let's say a three days from the day they learn about extenuating circumstances to claim them for refund purposes. This should not be a total free for all at the expense of hosts.

3 Replies 3
Maxine33
Level 7
Alexandria, VA

Inna, I am sorry to hear that happened to you.  If they cancelled after telling you they were coming anyway, I agree that your cancellation policy should rule and not the extenuating circumstances policy.

Did you have any luck with customer service?

@Maxine33 of course not. At the end I only felt bad about using those CS resources on a pointless discussion when they could have been helping someone else

Courtney172
Level 5
Des Moines, IA

I agree with you 100% on this. The guest has to have some skin in the game.  Airbnb gave all of the power to the guests and guests even say, "I'll wait until the final payment is due to decide." NO! That is only 2 weeks before check-in. We hosts need a chance to rebook these dates, and if I need to decide by May 15 if I want to cancel them, then they should have to make their decision by the same date. This has gotten totally out of control.