Earthquake’s in Puerto Rico

Gabriel2861
Level 1
Clermont, FL

Earthquake’s in Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico has been experiencing earthquakes since December and has been non stop, everyday trembles. Due to the safety of the island and the uncertainty of electricity, supplies, flights, etc. I wanted to cancel my trip to PR and try to use the money I put for another air bnb. Airbnb advise me that they cannot do any changes to the reservation till the day of, if earthquakes are still happening. I can’t believe Airbnb does not want to consider refund, cancellation or even changes to stay at another Airbnb where there is no natural disasters going on. I’m terrified to travel to the island and I don’t understand how Airbnb is willing to allow us to go to an island that’s literally shaking. 

3 Replies 3
Myriam202
Level 2
Ocala, FL

Is the Airbnb located in a town near the earthquakes?  When are you traveling? I had a guest cancelled  last week due the fear of earthquakes, they were due to come in on 1/26  they got partial credit. My place is located in the north part of island. 

Airbnb is not scared of the earthquakes thus the cancelations. Now regarding insurance to cover the host or the landlord for an accident caused by an earthquake here is what I ned to say. 

haven't talked about Insurance in Puerto Rico regarding household liability. The insurance fees start around $2,000 USD to cover you from been sued. This is in addition to the basic mandatory yearly insurance. Most if not all Insurance companies consider Airbnb a high-risk business considering the number of traffic Airbnb properties receive and the possibility of them having to pay for legal fees representing their clients especially overseas when guests are travelers. Insurance companies came up with their own game to extort landlords doing Airbnb. Adding up the mortgage or rent, utility bills, maintenance, losses, and damages caused by guests. The only cheapest way around it is to create an LLC to limit the liability of personal non-related assets. In the case of any legal action against the host, only the LLC will be affected but without insurance, the veil could be pierced based on corporate negligence. Again, governments and other complementary services and businesses are making Airbnb less attractive, less profitable, and more difficult to operate.   

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Earthquakes are quite common in Costa Rica with small ones occurring daily and tremors strong enough to feel a few times a year.  Major quakes strike about once a decade but no tourist has ever been killed or seriously injured by an earthquake in Costa Rica.

I can see the sense in waiting till nearer the time to know what areas are being affected before accepting a cancellation under Airbnb's extenuating circumstances policy, as there may not be an issue then.

Why don't you see if your travel insurance will consider a cancellation in these circumstances @Gabriel2861