Extenuating Circumstances Cancellation but cannot contact AirBnB support

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Extenuating Circumstances Cancellation but cannot contact AirBnB support

I need to cancel a reservation because I arrived home to a burst pipe in the walls of the house today and it was not going to be a quick DIY fix.  The water is now shut off at the street.

As New Zealand was only hours away from a lock down, it will take longer than usual to get a plumber.  I believe this would fall under the Extenuating Circumstances criteria.

I notified the guest ASAP and found somewhere else for her to stay.  She is OK with cancelling the reservation but needs the money to pay for her new accommodation.   If she cancels now, she only gets the moderate amount of refund.  As a work around, I explained how the resolution centre works and asked her to request the balance (including fees) from me and I would accept it.  Not sure how long it will take for her to get that money though.

Of course, I am happy for her to get a full refund, regardless of my moderate cancellation policy but I don't want to take the risk of sending her the difference now and then finding AirBnB have sent it to her also (taking it out of my next payout).

Nor do I want the dreaded "Host Cancelled this Reservation" message out there for all to see!

Why didn't I do the 'normal' thing and ask AirBnB support for a cancellation due to extenuating circumstances?  I tried phoning them but got a recorded message saying that staff were working from home and would not be responding to phone calls - try online.
Other message board contributors have often mentioned that Twitter is the quickest way to get things sorted.  7 hours and no reply (Fair enough.  These are not normal times.)

What else can we do?

1 Reply 1
Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

HELP PLEASE..!!
I still cannot get through to AirBnB. This is the latest message from the would-be guests. I have tried to explain that I cannot refund money that I haven't been sent, explained the penalties I was trying to avoid and asked them to cancel at their end (stating for the fourth time that I would refund the AirBnB fees and agree to the rest of it through the resolution centre).

I understand their reaction and have the utmost sympathy for them but
** I don't want to be guilt-tripped

** I don't want the AirBnB penalties (and am running out of time to get their approval for extenuating circumstances)

** AirBnB has the annoying habit of sometimes refunding guests in full AND taking from host's next payout. I cannot afford to be hit in the wallet by that

Hello Terri,

you must do the manipulation that I sent you to cancel. I understand the problem, but for us is also a big problem, we are not in our country, no family to help us, we need to pay an accommodation. We have to pay another flight because our is canceled. Very difficult to find a way. If you do not cancel yourself we won't get a full refund. Now is an emergency situation, without money we can do nothing. Please do the necessary as soon as possible. I sent you the manipulation to do to cancel, all you have to do is do it. Thank you