๐Ÿƒ[FESTIVAL] Unlocking your thermostat๐Ÿƒ

Answered!
Jennifer3225
Host Advisory Board Member
Port Severn, Canada

๐Ÿƒ[FESTIVAL] Unlocking your thermostat๐Ÿƒ

The Ups and Downs of Sustainability 

With Felicity Stevens Australia ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ @Felicity11  and Jennifer Schnier ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ (HAB 2022-2023)

โ€œUnlocking your thermostat can significantly reduce your emissions.โ€

Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 17.37.00.png

Highlights

• Trust is already established when you accept an Airbnb booking.
  • Unlocking your thermostat will give guests greater control of their space.
  • The goal of all hosting experiences is to keep guests comfortable.

Thoughts from Up North  Myth

โ€œI have to keep my thermostat locked, otherwise the guests will jack up the heatโ€.

Truth

โ€œNot allowing your guests to control the temperature, may mean your hard earned money is going out the windowโ€ฆ literallyโ€

Where is the logic in that?

As hosts we welcome guests from international and local areas throughout the globe. What is more is that as hosts we welcome people from various backgrounds, families, ethnicities and cultures.

The old saying, โ€œDifferent strokes for different folksโ€, couldnโ€™t be truer when you consider how people sleep, live and regulate their own bodyโ€™s temperatures.

• Guests for various reasons may choose to have their time in your listing enjoyed by different temperatures than what a regulated (locked) thermostat may provide.

• Some people like to sleep in the cool, and others in the warmth.

• Guests wonโ€™t have the choice to turn down the heat or decrease the Air Conditioning if they go out.

• Guests will open the windows if the temperature is not right.. And your energy will go right out the window.

• Guests wonโ€™t feel they are truly renting a home, but rather a controlled environment.

Thoughts from Down Under 

Down under we donโ€™t say thermostat we call it air conditioning or central heating. 

Most homes in Australia and New Zealand do not have the capacity to lock in a temperature for heating or cooling so it is up to the guests to switch it on and set the temperature.  For many international guests they may not realize that you do not need to leave the air conditioning or heating on during the day when they are out.  Many people also do not realize that for every degree that you increase or decrease the temperature the impact on your power bill can rise significantly. 

I suggest you leave a note beside the controls with suggested temperatures for the different times of the year and a gentle reminder note beside the front door asking guests to switch this off when they go out.

To help guests feel comfortable do add extra cotton or wool blankets for not just bedding but also to curl up on a couch or chair, to your listing so guests will need less heating or cooling. 

To help retain the heating and cooling efficiency of your home I suggest hosts do the following:

• Add thermal backed curtains and blinds that cover the entire window area
  • Ensure your home has been adequately draft proofed. You may like to consider adding rubber window seals to ensure less heat is lost or gained.
  • Add floor coverings such as rugs and carpet.  This will help retain the heat and feel nice under foot
  • Add ceiling and under floor insulation if possible.
  • If you are considering upgrading your  heating/cooling look for the most energy efficient models on the market. 

General tips for improving home efficiency

• Consider the colour of your home and its ability to reflect or absorb heat. In Australia and other warm nations there is evidence to show that homes that have lighter coloured roofs and sides absorb less heat and also help alleviate heat map spots. 
  • If upgrading your home appliances consider switching out gas cooking and heating.  Cooking on induction cooktops not only emits less heat into the room and uses less energy but also cuts out harmful gasses that come from cooking on gas.   

What do we want to know from you?

1. Do you guests control the temperature?
  2. How do you make sure guests are not too hot or cold?
  3. Is there something unique your country does to help guests?

Let us know! Join the conversation.

Jennifer Schnier
Top Answer
Felicity11
Manly, Australia

Sounds like wonderful cottage you have @Laurelle3 and you have done all sorts of good things to make it as energy efficient as possible.  It is always good to get feedback from guests and be able to action this.  

Do you have an solar usage dashboard that guests can view to see the power that is being generated and used?  I am trying to find a provider who can do this for me. I know when I show guests the app I have on my phone they are always curious to know more so I would love to find a way to set this up in the cottage for guests to see throughout the day. 

58 Replies 58
Felicity11
Manly, Australia

Great to hear your insights @John5097  into what you have found works well with guests to keep them happy and to keep your repair person away. 

Jennifer3225
Port Severn, Canada

John

You might be right. Language barriers will make the instructions tricky to understand. The nest sounds like a great solution. 

I have a Heat Pump in my home, that still runs off the same thermostat.. I am going to take your advice and add a quick note of what might work for climate control in our area.  "The range of what is right" ... is a very good idea. 

Jennifer Schnier

@Jennifer3225 

Glad you found something in my rant useful! Very gracious of you. 

Yes, I find that suggesting a range works really well. In fact I recall including it in my house rules not long ago. 

A lot of host have recommended the Nest thermostat. They can be configured with just about any kind of heating/ac. My main unit is also a heat pump, with auxiliary heat, for when it gets below freezing, which is very rare in my area. Anyway, it's pretty easy to install the Nest yourself. They have a step by step guide, and their technical support is very good if you need help. 

Apologies again. I just just sold a 2019 vehicle because of machinable issues,   and everything is also so expensive. Most of the appliances are also much more expensive, and weren't cheap to begin with. So these appliances and machines were supposed to make life easier but now are so expensive and disruptive if they break. At least as host we can stay on top of the maintenance, changing filters, etc. In fact I just purchased a kit to clean the coils. It's so humid here that the drain pipes clog up with mold. 

This is the one page instructions I put under the remote. I also mention in my last message before check in the remote for the heat/ac is on the bookshelf with instructions, and later mention the guest guide also has instructions on how to operate the heat/ac. 

As mentioned I tried two thermostats for the ductless mini spit but both started throwing error codes, even after contacting manufactoriors tech support. Would have been so nice to be able to set the range, but the instructions work well. If you get something like a Nest you can also monitor the temps and see how much energy it's acually using. 

But these are my instructions, and try to make is as easy to understand as possible. 

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 12.17.20 PM.png

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

Hi @John5097 

I love the way you explain the Aircon/splitsystem/thermostat system you have and that you have a suggested range for guests to adjust it to.   From you experience with the place you stayed in, it sounds like more could be done to help hosts make suggestions to guests around the best temperature range to set the system to.  Also those traveling from different parts of the world may not understand the impact of turning off a system or leaving a door open could have on the property.  Do you think it might be useful to write this sort of information out for the guest to read?

It sounds like a very efficient system you use. We use heat pumps a lot in New Zealand and Australia and many homes are switching to these as an efficient and healthy way to heat their homes. 

@Felicity11 

That's a great suggestion to have more detailed info about the climate as many guest simply don't understand how much impact humidity has. I do mention in my house rules the temp range is to prevent damaging the equipment, but may seem controlling?  

Appreciate the feedback about the one page instructions for the mini split. (ductless heat pump)

I should probably edit all of that again. It's kind of tricky. You would think just using the "auto" mode would be easiest, but after watching youtube instructions from pros they say to avoid it. Guest would need to raise or lower the temp over 4 degrees then it would switch between heat and cool mode. It has a built in delay up to 15 minutes to change between modes to prevent damage but guest are going to turn it off and and on, and we all know what happens when a guest can't figure something out.

I was surprised there were no instructions or guide in one of the ABB I stayed. The host had over 1000 reviews. She even mentioned that sometimes guest turned it all the up or down, and said it kind of goes with the territory, and host have to eat the cost, but as mentioned that is preventable by having the unit at an ideal temp when they check in, then have instructions.

Humidity takes a long time to extract. I would add that in but needed to keep the quick guide to one page and easy to understand, and guest guide is already long.

A lot of guest may leave doors or windows open then wonder why it feels so hot, say in Florida, and don't understand its because the humidity jumped up from 50% indoors to over 65% and feels 5 degrees hotter. In the summer the AC will bring it back down relatively fast as its running more but at night, for example, it may just stay humid because the AC doesn't run as much at night. 

Tuning AC or Heat off during part of the day actually uses more energy as the unit has to run longer to bring it back to set room temp. Guest are also not familiar with all the nuances for each climate. If they turn the heat off up north in the winter the pipes will freeze, and turn the AC off down south and you get mold and feel hot, use more electricity, open doors, let mosquitos in... 

I gutted my entire rental unit and added proper insulation, new windows, doors so it all very efficient. If host are earning income they really ought to properly insulate. 

Now I'm more motivated to save up and add solar panels to supply majority of electricity. Just guest traveling is inherently energy intensive, as they are flying or driving.

This is a scene shot from my Nest App. You can see how much energy the main heat pump is using. This is the total run time per each day. It's Spring so hardly running at all. Notice that the AC is barely running, yet it's still very humid, so only extracts humidity when it's running during the daytime, so don't want to even crack a window or it lets all the humidity back in. Even a one inch hole lets in a huge amount of humidity.  At night it hardly turns on. But if guest did want to turn AC  down a few degrees it would practically cost nothing as it hardly running, and would actually save energy as its less expensive to cool the space down at night. 

I also have ceiling fans which also help a lot at night. 

IMG_2617.PNG

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

hi @John5097 

you are right language barriers and inexperience in living in humid or extremely hot conditions can be tricky to explain to some guests.   We had one very hot day here in Sydney - over 41 C and we had no air-conditioning and while the house was coolish we did not want to increase the temperature any more.  My mother thought it would be a good idea to get the ironing done..  She was just not aware how much heat and steam she would be adding to our room temperature if she tackled a large pile of ironing - it did take a bit of gentle persuasion to leave it for another day.. 

@Felicity11 

Bathrooms can become humid from the shower. I had a motion activated switch for the exhaust but put a manual timer on it instead because it didn't look suspicious. 

In this climate, like Florida, even a new house that isn't configured properly, the entire inside can become covered in mold if AC isn't extracting enough of the humidity, about a few gallons a day. 

It can get tricky and expensive to redo an entire system. 

The ductless mini split in my unit works perfect and allows guest to adjust the temp.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@John5097 Can you educate me as to what a mini split is. When we lived in Connecticut there was a choice of whole house aircon or window air conditioners.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

It's called a Ductless Mini Split. You have likely seen them all over. 

It has an outside unit and inside unit, just like a larger split system except no duct work.

This is the one I got.

https://www.acwholesalers.com/LG-LS120HXV2/p99989.html 

There are tons of install videos on Youtube or most HVAC companies instal them. 

It was a good bit work and research to install. I blocked off about 4 days and it was fun project. 

The heat pump one I got was standard 110 volts another most are 220 and in US. But require vey little energy. Just a standard 20 amp breaker. They use much less than a plug in space heater. 

They can heat down to say 20 degrees or so, and some even lower. 

For cold climates would also need some kind of auxiliary back up. 

Apparently heat pump are also used in North East. It would be running full time and when it can't maintain set temp an auxiliary heat kicks in. It's still far more efficient and cost effective. I suppose thats the direction most of Europe is going? 

Apparently these are all over Europe. The advantage is that it only requires a 3 inch hole in the wall for the coolant line, drain line, and wire to connect between the outside unit and inside unit so can be installed on homes that weren't originally designed for AC.

They are also very quiet.

I'll include a few pics of mine and the thermostat I installed. Although for this one the LG it had some kind of bug and would throw a code and not work right. It would have been so nice. I'm including it because it also had the ability to configure an auxiliary heat source. 

So the advantage is that it requires very little electricty, might not need to upgrade service line, panel, and relatively easy to install and no ductwork. They come in a lot of configurations. 

The disadvantage is they they can be unsightly depending on the location. 

For mine, because it's putting heat/AC directly into the dwelling there has been no change in electric use. 

These look worse in the pic, but when standing in the yard it's fine. I've also added a little privacy fence, and the lines can be run inside the wall. 

For your situation, it's possible adding these could reduce energy cost dramattialy. Each person really needs to research their own climate and how these things are configured. For my other main heat pump I always get the best and the best company to install. 

IMG_1740 (1).jpegIMG_1787 (1).jpegIMG_1742.jpegIMG_1748.jpeg

BTW only the chase to the right is for the mini split. I located the outside one over the chase for the main heat pump, just to have enough room for a shrub between it and the guest doorway. I ended up installing a fence for extra privacy when they are sitting outside. 

You can see it here. The portable generator is just for power outages, although the mini split does run off the generator power also. I'm considering adding another one to my space just for backup and to run off the generator during outages. But likely if power is out for more than a day guest would need to cancel, and I would stay in the rental unit that would have AC from the mini split that is connected to generator. It can be brutally hot in August. 

68661034220__BA1CD586-CCCA-4B9D-84E5-70ABA581F33E.jpegIMG_2426.jpeg

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@John5097 wow these are good. As you say they are not suitable everywhere or for every type of house. Our house is so poorly insulated which is hard to fix given it is almost 300 years old I am afraid we will have to stick with our biomass central heating system. We don't need air-conditioning except for maybe 1 week per year so that will never be worthwhile.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

They potentially could be used in conjunction with your central heating system. 

The heat pump does both heat and cold. It's actually moving heat in one direction. In winter it moves heat from the outside inside and in summer from the inside to the outside. So it's not actually creating energy just moving it. 

But I agree all of this can be so tricky to configure. After reading some of your comments, it may be best to just keep it the way you have it, as the listing is very clear and guest know exactly what to expect. 

If I could start over again from scratch I would configure mine differently, and when it's time to replace the main heat pump, will likely change things up some. 

I took a look at your listings again. Wow such a beautiful place. I think the only Victorian houses in our area are wood. There are even little towns out west with wooden ones. 

I understand about old drafty houses. 

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

HI @John5097 

Thank you for sharing these insights with us.  Living in a humid environment has different implications that many guest may not be used to. Thank you for sharing these insights with us.  It is great that you explain this to the guest so they are aware of why you run the systems like you do.  - I can imagine my Kiwi family scratching there head wondering why the system was running all the time and wanting to turn it off to save power!  

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jennifer3225 always good to be lectured by someone who clearly doesn't understand thermostats. Believe me all air conditioning and central heating systems have them as do many portable heaters.

Anyway having experienced guests setting our heating at 30C for 24 hours a day I am more than happy to lock our thermostats. All guests are asked to contact us if it is too hot or cold and we will adjust the temperature accordingly. Trusted repeat guests are given the key to the thermostat lock.

Jennifer3225
Port Severn, Canada

Mike and Jane.

No lecture, that is not the point of the festival. I am a host just like you. Learning as we go.  Sorry that happened to you. I am in the North in Canada and have not experienced that.

We are all suggesting in this festival, and you as the host are making decisions. 

Jen

Jennifer Schnier