โ€Œ๐Ÿƒโ€Œ[FESTIVAL] What is a hot water heat pump and why might I consider one? โ€Œ๐Ÿƒโ€Œ

Answered!
Felicity11
Host Advisory Board Member
Manly, Australia

โ€Œ๐Ÿƒโ€Œ[FESTIVAL] What is a hot water heat pump and why might I consider one? โ€Œ๐Ÿƒโ€Œ

I was delighted when Airbnb asked me to write for the Festival of Sustainability. Iโ€™m pleased to write this post regarding a topic that has become important to me over the years: energy conservation. 

Switching to an efficient electric hot water heat pump can be a great way to reduce your household energy bill. Although you may not need a new hot water system today, itโ€™s worth doing a bit of research so that if yours breaks, youโ€™re ready to replace it with a more efficient option. 

How they work?

A hot water heat pump uses similar technology to a refrigerator or air conditioner, but in reverse. It uses heat energy in the air to heat water. Donโ€™t ask me to explain the physics, but it works even during winter. Check out this explanation from the International Energy Agency if youโ€™re interested in learning more.

What they cost?

A stove or air conditioner uses energy at a particular time, like when youโ€™re cooking or when youโ€™re home and itโ€™s hot. But a hot water heat pump can use electricity when itโ€™s free (if you have solar panels on your roof) or less expensive (if thereโ€™s a time-of-day electricity rate where you live). It then stores hot water in a highly insulated tank until you or your guests need it.

Because electricity can be less expensive when thereโ€™s a lot of it, not only can heating and storing hot water via solar power or an off-peak electricity rate help you save on hot water bills, it can also help the energy grid. Your hot water tank works like a battery, storing electricity in the form of hot water that can be used when energy grid demand is at its peak.

If youโ€™re nervous about running out of hot water, consider paying a bit extra for a heat pump that has a quick reheat cycle. You can also get a larger tank to accommodate the number of people in your space.

Here in Australia, the price for hot water heat pumps can range from around $1,500 to more than $6,000 AUD (before government rebates).

Getting ready for a heat pump

Before your old hot water system breaks, think about how youโ€™d replace it with a heat pump. There are some important considerations : 

1. Form factor: Heat pump hot water systems come with a tank and a compressor unit. They can be separate (where the compressor unit looks like the outdoor unit for an air conditioner) or combined (where the compressor is built onto the top of the tank). Either way, the compressor unit must be located outside or in a covered area that gets plenty of airflow. If you currently have an outdoor tank, an all-in-one system is the logical choice. If you have an indoor (gas or electric) one, consider where the compressor could go.

2. Power point: If you currently have a gas system, youโ€™ll likely need a new dedicated power circuit. Be sure to check the specifications of the model youโ€™re intending to purchase.

When youโ€™re selecting a particular brand and model, there are again a few important considerations : 

• The level of control: Can you control it using your phone or laptop to take advantage of off-peak power rates or your own solar generation? 

• Energy efficiency: Take a look at the โ€œCOPโ€ (coefficient of performance) rating and check how energy-efficient the system is. The higher the number, the more efficient, but the COP is measured at a particular ambient (outside) temperature. 

• Operational temperature range: Make sure the unit is suitable for your winter extremes. Check the operating temperature range and ask the dealer how efficiency is affected by cold weather.

• Warranty: Check the type of warranty and what it covers, like labor and parts, and how long the warranty period is. 

• Noise: Look for the decibel rating (dbA). The lower the number, the quieter it will run. Also consider where the unit will be located and if it will be close to a neighbor or bedroom window.

• Tank size: The recovery rateโ€”how fast water in the tank can be heatedโ€” determines what size tank you need for a given number of people. A higher-quality system might need half the tank size to do the same job as a lower-quality system.
  • Refrigerant: Check the types of refrigerant gasses used and consider ones that reduce the environmental impact. 

Chances are, youโ€™ll need to replace your hot water system quickly when it breaks. With a bit of research into which options best suit your needs, youโ€™ll be ready to upgrade to an energy-efficient electric heat pump.

1 Best Answer
Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

Olรก Felicita sou do Brasil litoral Santa catarina praias!

vi muitas pessoas usando esta bomba 

mais na periferia, 

mais nรฃo รฉ algo assim parece muito procurado !vou ter que me aprofundar mais no assunto! 

o que estรก em alta aqui รฉ as placas energia solar!

tem bom custo e benefรญcio!

Att.Loni๐ŸŒด 

[Translation added by Community Manager] 

Hello @Felicity11 , I'm from Brazil, coastal Santa Catarina beaches!

I saw a lot of people using this pump

more on the periphery,

But it's not something like that, it seems very popular! I'll have to delve deeper into the subject!

What's hot here are solar panels!

Itโ€™s good value for money!

Att.Loni๐ŸŒด

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Maki105
Level 1
Kazuno, Japan

No we donโ€™t have a heat pump 

Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

Olรก Felicita sou do Brasil litoral Santa catarina praias!

vi muitas pessoas usando esta bomba 

mais na periferia, 

mais nรฃo รฉ algo assim parece muito procurado !vou ter que me aprofundar mais no assunto! 

o que estรก em alta aqui รฉ as placas energia solar!

tem bom custo e benefรญcio!

Att.Loni๐ŸŒด 

[Translation added by Community Manager] 

Hello @Felicity11 , I'm from Brazil, coastal Santa Catarina beaches!

I saw a lot of people using this pump

more on the periphery,

But it's not something like that, it seems very popular! I'll have to delve deeper into the subject!

What's hot here are solar panels!

Itโ€™s good value for money!

Att.Loni๐ŸŒด

Felicity11
Host Advisory Board Member
Manly, Australia

Hi @Loni56 

It is good to hear from you. I am so excited to hear that you have solar panels and that they are good value.  It is great when we can generate our own energy on site and reduce our day to day power costs.    The Hot Water heat pump is a brilliant add on after getting solar as some models can be programmed to run during the day and so they use the energy generated from solar to power the hot water so your hot water pump becomes a battery! 

Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

Olรก Felecita desculpa! 

eu nรฃo tenho painรฉis de energia!

falei que estรก em alta muitas pessoas estรฃo adquirindo!

mas eu nรฃo tenho ainda

abraรงo Loni

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Felicity11 it is with interest that I read about the heat pump and it sounds like a good idea. 

However, we have invested in solar energy panels and batteries and when building we looked at where the hot-water pipes were to be placed.

We economically chose a small 3 litre instant hot water system for the kitchen and we manually turn it on approximately .5 minutes before use and turn it off after using.  

This was a choice we made to save energy rather than hot water trapesing across one side of the house, wasting energy and water.