False Booking Inquiry, Possible Fraud?

Tina14
Level 2
New York, United States

False Booking Inquiry, Possible Fraud?

The past two days I have received booking inquiries asking me to contact them via Whats App so they can ask covid and quarantine related questions.  The Whats App number is cleverly inserted using circled numbers so that the Airbnb metrics don't remove it prior to a confirmed booking.

Both times I replied that I only communicate through the Airbnb platform, and have had no response so I declined the requests. 

This looks like fraud to me!

Can someone look into it? Is there an Airbnb Cyber Security?

@Airbnb 

5 Replies 5
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Tina14 

Did you report it?

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Tina14
Level 2
New York, United States

How do I do that?  I searched all over the site for a place to do so. Thank you!

Yes, it could've been scammers. I don't trust those who call through the app if it's possible to call to mobile.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tina14 By declining you will have the Airbnb bot complaining that you are not wanting to tae reservations. If it is an inquiry there is no need to accept or decline - You just need to respond (as you have done).

I don't trust those who call through the app if it's possible to call to mobile. This is especially obvious when scammers call and introduce themselves as bank employees and tell some imaginary problem. According to the rules of security awareness https://websec.nl/en/security-awareness/, better to hang up immediately and contact your bank directly. Scammers ask for your card information, and you shouldn't tell it in any way. You have to be careful with your answers because they often use your answer "yes" as permission to use your data. Even if you have answered another question. That's why it'll be difficult for you to get justice and get your money back later.