Festival of Hospitality 2023šŸ” Celebrating the 4th annual Festival of Hospitality

Festival of Hospitality 2023šŸ” Celebrating the 4th annual Festival of Hospitality

Host Meet Up in London, July 2023Host Meet Up in London, July 2023

Dear Host community,

As I am sure you know, weā€™re celebrating our fourth annual Festival of Hospitality here in the Community Center, and Iā€™m so happy to be joining you - as a Host! For those of you who are new to this festival, it recognises the incredible experiences our Hosts create for guests around the world and showcases the amazing connections you are building. 

This is my first year Hosting and inviting guests into my home. It brings me an immense sense of joy, fulfillment and, I have to admit, a healthy dose of trepidation. It has been wonderful hearing about their lives and most interestingly, why they travel and why they choose my place. 

I have only just started Hosting, so I am a newbie compared to so many experienced Hosts in this community. In the spirit of the Festival, I wanted to share some of my tips! I am very focused on the welcome. Our guesthouse is next to our home, so either my husband (aka my Co-Host) or I will greet our guests personally. I also want my guests to know we have thought of them whenever they walk into our place. We like to put out a bowl of lemons and oranges from our garden, or light a fire if it is particularly cold (which isn't often in Los Angeles, but it does happen). My husband/Co-Host wrote an incredibly detailed guidebook with a ton of local recommendations, which he loves to emphasize whenever he can! We also have a lot of games and it is great to see when they are used and appreciated.

It is so energizing to see our community come together. As a Host amongst you, I want to thank you for sharing your stories, tips and learnings. In my role as Global Head of Hosting, I also want to thank you sincerely for all that you do to make our community flourish and excel. 

Warmly, 

Catherine Powell

10 Replies 10
Dolly36
Host Advisory Board Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Dear Catherine,

I wanted to express my heartfelt gratitude to you, not only as the Global Head of Hosting but also as a fellow host. Reading about your leap into hosting resonated with me, as I vividly remember the mix of excitement and nervousness I felt when I began. Your message captures the essence of this wonderful sector where connections flourish, and guests often become friends. I believe this is where the beauty of hospitality lies which is the appreciation guests show for our thoughtful efforts. I'm excited about the Festival of Hospitality, a celebration that holds special meaning for all of us who share a deep love for this industry. Looking forward to reading all the articles written by experienced hosts which reflect insights and the love we share for this wonderful sector. Thank you for your leadership and for fostering a thriving host community.

Happy Hosting!

Dolly Duran

Patricia2526
Level 10
Manila, Philippines

Hello Catherine,

I hope this message finds you well. 

Your insights and hosting tips for sure will enhance my hosting style. Your attention to detail and commitment ensuring your guests will have comfortable and memorable stay truly shine. Itā€™s evident that you have a deep understanding of what makes a guest feel welcome and at home.

i look forward to implementing more of your recommendations and continuing to provide exceptional experiences for my guests.

Love the annual festival, this year was greeted with an atmosphere of warmth and excitement to hear stories and tips from fellow hosts. Itā€™s about creating unforgettable moments and connections. 

Wishing you all the best! Happy hosting!

Patricia

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Catherine-Powell

Dear Catherine, 

What a joy to have you as our Global Head of Hosting.  It is lovely that you join us on the field as a Host as well. With you also taking part in "the trenches" with us it sets you apart from so many leaders.  It is always such a delight to hear from you!  We appreciate so much that you are willing to  support us as Hosts and explore better ways in every aspect of hosting. 

I have been taking part in these Festivals personally for a few years and it has always been such a pleasure sharing, connecting & exploring together with other hosts. 

I believe each festival adds so much to our Community of Hosting and helps hosts look at their contributions and styles from many angles. This all certainly can deepen the relationships with other hosts and that is the best of the best. Connecting with our guests and having connections and support of our buddies, other Hosts. 

Many blessings to you,

Clara 

Sarah5000
Adelaide, Australia

Dear Catherine, 

Thanks for sharing your lovely hosting experience and tips with us. I am also focused on the welcome too. I believe a great host does not just offer a comfortable place but also offer a great hospitality experience to each guest. 

Happy hosting !

Sarah 

Sarah
Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Catherine-Powell thank you for sharing your hosting experiences. As you have pointed out that your husband plays an important part of sharing your Airbnb.

I  must say my husband/ man servant as he calls himself when we greet the guests together. We work as a team and we share the responsibilities and cleaning trying to maintain a high standard of keeping our Airbnb number 1 in our eyes and for our guests and this is shown in our reviews. 

Soraya19
Level 8
Mumbai, India

Hello Catherine!

The beauty of a clear night sky is enhanced with the brilliance of every star. Knowing that you are now amongst us adds that special twinkle to the world of Airbnb hosting! ā­

We welcome with warm love!!

Jue0
Nairobi, Kenya

@Catherine-Powell, thank you! Well done on being a Host. 

An honor and pleasure to have shared some great memories that will linger for a long time as a reminder of why we host and the great milestones our gracious guests have helped us achieve. šŸŒŗ

JMM
Claudia331
Lecco, Italy

Dear @Catherine-Powell wonderful see you writing here as a host and read your emotion, doing the best job in the world!

For me is also really meaningful the photo you have chosen because without the community my job as host wouldn't be what it is...

This year my attention is focused on how our platform can offer solutions (in a house, with an host, in a community) to a growing need to rediscover the beauty of relationships, sharing, being together, physical presence, after a period of restrictions and isolation. This for me is one of the airbnb superpower!

Happy Festival for you and your guests! 

Ken2
Level 4
Tokyo, Japan

Hi Catherrine, It's Ken from Tokyo. I hope you remember me. 

Congratulations on the forth Festival of Hospitality! Actually it's my first time to write a comment at community center. Rie from HAB introduced your post on Facebook group and I found a chance to contact you.

I also leave fruits and vegetables for my guests because my family has a farm and fruit trees nearby. Local fruits is sometimes difficult for guests to eat. In such case, I tell how the taste is like and we eat together. In coming autumn, we are going to provide persimmon.

Thankfully Tokyo Met. government gave home hosts a permission to provide a meal to guests. So it got more fun to enjoy hosting than before.

Rie9
Yomitan, Nakagami District, Japan

Thank you, Ken! 

And Catherine's post reminds us, long-time hosts, of going 'back to our roots.'

Welcoming guests and sharing our worries and joys among fellow hosts. By repeating this act countless times, our lives have become incredibly rich. And this legacy is being passed down to our children as well.