[Festival] "At Mom's" with no fuss

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Festival] "At Mom's" with no fuss

image1.png

Screenshot 2022-08-31 at 08.44.18.pngThis article is part of the Community Center's Festival of Hospitality 2022 . The original topic was posted in the French-speaking Community Center by @Dominique1233 and we have translated it below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

My name is Dominique, and my home, “Chez Maman” [at Mom’s], is located in Albertville, Savoie, the famous 1992 Olympic host city.

I never thought I’d have to rent out this apartment… But unfortunately, my mom had to be placed in care, and the only solution available to me to cover the charges and other bills was to rent it out. By going through Airbnb, I have an income (even if it varies from one month to the next) that allows me to keep an eye on the place, unlike a conventional rental. It was a very hard decision to make because I felt very guilty! Currently, I don’t make any profit, but I am “getting back on my feet.” I left the furniture, some trinkets, and decorations (even if the style is a little old-fashioned), but I also updated some things and personalized it with photos of our mountains... The apartment is spacious, and “Chez Maman” is a name that suits it perfectly.

Some “modern” guests find it a little outdated, but the majority love it because they feel comfortable, like at their grandmother’s. Spanish guests, in particular, are fans.💃

Triple protection on bedding (including disposable mattress, pillow, and bolster protectors) is a small additional investment. Still, I consider it more than necessary during this period.

I don’t necessarily offer a bottle of wine or flowers on the table, but I think people who arrive late or by train are happy to find breakfast. So there is always: milk, orange juice, fresh water, butter, cereals, crackers, croissants (Pasquier brand) and small jars of homemade jams and honey from our apiary, and black and herbal teas and coffee at their disposal.

For children aged three (3) and up, I leave a marshmallow lollipop that I put between the legs of the big blue rabbit or panda. That makes their eyes sparkle.

A basket of candies, papillotes [traditional Christmas chocolates], or Easter eggs is also available.

And they really appreciate that, believe me! 😁

A tip, though: never leave an object with material value or sentimental value to you.  My very first guests, who came just before Christmas, left before the time scheduled for me to check over the apartment and took my beautiful bedside lamp with them (I wasn’t sure if I should leave it), so there you go... It would have made a nice gift that one of them probably gave to their loved ones 😡🎅

Not having experience, I didn't make a complaint on the site immediately, but 48 hours later—that was a serious mistake. My next guests had already checked in, and I didn’t get any compensation. 😕

Overall, I find this occupation nice. It takes a bit of time, but generally I meet different and pleasant people. I work a lot with business travelers.

Some tourists arrive by train because the apartment is close to the train station.

On the housekeeping side, apart from a disastrous and catastrophic rental that left me in tears (and wondering if the apartment was used as a “no-tell motel”), I have a certain tolerance for construction workers. I send a message to inform them about their duty to make the apartment as clean as possible. It usually goes quite well. But they are often very tired, and their priority at 6:00 a.m. isn’t to scrub and polish when they have another day of work before returning home. 👣

It’s rewarding and encouraging when reviews are good, as well as ratings 🤗

Even better when guests come back…

Perhaps one day you will be my guests, and “Chez Maman” will welcome you with pleasure!

And you, what is your rental experience on Airbnb?

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

3 Replies 3
Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Dominique1233 when reading your article I felt it was written from the heart. Being a host is not always easy when one has to make decisions. 

Triple protection as you mentioned is a health measurement and protects what we have. But the little gifts are appreciated and a nice surprise for the guests. One makes their own little touches and we don't have to compete with other hosts and you do it your way.

Your "Chez Maman" is your special place, just take your time and you will get there to make a little profit. 

Dominique1233
Level 4
Plancherine, France

Merci pour votre lecture 

J'essaie de recevoir mes voyageurs avec le cœur pour les satisfaire au mieux 

Je n'ai pour le moment pas reçu d'Anglais 🙂

Bonne continuation à vous 

Thanks for reading @Laurelle3 

I try to receive my travelers with the heart to satisfy them at best 

I have not yet received any English🙂

All the best 

Dominique1233