First Long Term Stay

Mark-And-Chez0
Level 1
Kells, Ireland

First Long Term Stay

I and my partner are expecting our first time long stay guest, the guest will be staying in our one bedroom flat next door to us for two months, what are the dos and don'ts as in, are we expected to change beds,take out trash and go in and hoover? we are bit nervous.please someone gives us your thoughts

3 Replies 3
Normen0
Level 10
Canada

@Mark-And-Chez0 There is no hard and fast rule with longer term stays. What’s important is what you want and what your guest need.  
In my apartment I currently have a 50 night stay and have had similar stays previously. 
I communicated with the guests ahead of time with notes about garbage and recycling and what to do with them.  I’ve left them a couple of weeks worth of towels (with moderate usage) and two spare sets of sheets.  I’ve left them with a laundry basket and large laundry bag. The instructions I have given them is to let me know when they get to their last set of sheets and /or near end of towels. Put everything in the laundry bag and let me know. I pick it up, wash and return. The next day. They have the basket and laundry bag if they wish to do their own laundry at the laundromat near by. 
I have a return long term guest in another apartment who goes home every three weeks and I’ve arranged to clean his apartment on the weekends he is away including changing the bedding and towels.  He pays me $25 cash for this. This is his preference, an older man.  

I have film execs booked to stay in my Executive apartment and hopefully film crew in the other apartments over the summer. In their lease agreements it will be agreed that I will clean for an hour every two weeks which includes changing the sheets and towels and cleaning bathroom

and kitchen. I insist on this because it’s several months and I have had poor experiences where the guests never change the sheets which have to be thrown out, garbage build up, the toilets are black, and other nasty things.

Regular cleaning keeps them honest and you don’t have many surprises in the end. 

You have to make a judgment call sometimes. 
What works for you and them is best. Hope the examples help.  

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Mark-And-Chez0   You will want to establish some rules upon your guest's arrival.  First, I recommend that you schedule a cleaning every two weeks.  You can decide what the cleaning consists of, but at a minimum I would do the bathroom, check the kitchen and ask that the dirty linens and towels be in a hamper and traded for clean sheets and towels (making the bed would depend on the demeanor of the guest -- if you think he will sleep in the bed sans linens, make the bed).   Confirm the date and time of the cleaning(s) with the guest in writing if possible.  I hope that you are getting enough from the nightly rate to compensate for the extra cleanings -- 

The guest should be responsible for collecting and taking out the trash to the designated location, purchasing their own food and personal products and being courteous about heating, electric and water use.  The fact that you will be entering to clean every two weeks should keep them on their best behavior ... but very guest is different!  Best wishes.

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

We don't clean during the guest's longer term stay as this poses liability issues for our cleaners. Guests are also expected to clean their own bed linens at their own leisure (rather than us) while they're occupying the listing. These are the main differences I set when it comes to short-term stays vs long/mid-term stays.