[GAME] Rate yourself as a Host

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

[GAME] Rate yourself as a Host

Wat voor type host ben jij (1).png

Hosting is no small task as there are multiple factors that are in play. But how different is the guest experience depending on the Host they get? Something evidently attracts a guest to a Host; might it be the Host’s personality, the listing’s style or something else? Sometimes the guest’s review reveals what they think of you but how do you see yourself as a Host?

Join us in participating in this light-hearted game of sharing what type of Host you rate yourself to be. Let us know in the comments what you’ve scored or share with us the type of Host you think you are, that we may have missed below.

1. What is your design style? 🏡
  1. You embrace minimalism. No need for anything extra that doesn’t have a purpose
  2. It’s all about efficiency and functionality. You have the same furniture picked out for all of your Airbnbs
  3. You’re a contemporary trend setter and like your space to feel comfortable and luxurious
  4. Shabby chic – You’re a restorer and repurposer – you pick up items from yard sales or from the side of the road, give them a lick of paint and a new home
  5. Your style is traditional. You keep an eye out for a sale and make sure to buy quality furniture that will look and feel great throughout the years

1. How do you check-in Hosts? 🔑
  1. You have a keyless entry setup. You send the digital key to the Host at time of checkin and it expires by checkout
  2. Your cohost meets your guests to give to check them in
  3. You meet and greet each and every guest and give them a tour of the place
  4. You keep the door open with the keys inside
  5. You ask the guest if they’d like you to meet them or they prefer self check-in

1. How would you keep your guests entertained? 📺
  1. You have a smart TV in every room with subscriptions to all the other streaming platforms
  2. You give your guests their space to plan their own trip and entertainment 
  3. You leave your guests board games and books
  4. You invite them over for dinner and a chat
  5. Share with them a guide of local activities and attractions

1. The guest loses the keys. How do you react and fix the problem? 🔨
  1. No worry at all – You’ve got a digital setup so you never face the problem of lost keys
  2. You charge the guest for the extra cost to copy the keys and the inconvenience it’s caused you
  3. You tell the guests it’s okay and absorb the cost for replacing the keys
  4. It’s all good since you have extra copies
  5. Change the locks and get new keys

1. A guest left the Airbnb extra dirty 🧀
  1. Your housekeeper has the irobot running as she strips the sheets
  2. Your housekeeper will send you photos of the before and after – You’ll be sure to send the guest a request for an additional cleaning charge
  3. Spend more time cleaning the space to get it ready for the next guest – no need to mention anything
  4. Tell the guest the condition they left the space was unacceptable and request additional cleaning fee
  5. You let the guest know that it’s wasn’t okay to leave your space in the state they did and make sure to leave it in the review

1. Your Airbnb smells of…  🍋
  1. Fresh linen, bergamot & lemon, wild fig or eucalyptus – your automatic air freshener releases a spritz every time someone walks into any room
  2. Disinfectant – the guest needs to know the space is sterile and there is no trace of anyone being there before them 
  3. You use linen spray on the beds and sofa.  It helps the place smelling nice and fresh
  4. Sage – you burn the stuff to cleanse any negative energy, leaving behind a natural herbal scent
  5. Nothing – you keep it fresh by cracking a window open

1. When the Airbnb guest leaves food in the fridge worth more than the nightly rate… 🍎
  1. Your housekeeper knows to help herself to anything she likes and throw everything else away
  2. You have it all thrown out
  3. Make yourself a sandwich
  4. Donate it to the foodbank
  5. Take a few perishable items to use for Sunday lunch and leave a few goodies for the next guest as a welcome gift

Use the below criteria to rate yourself as a host:

Mostly A’s: 🤖 The Tech Host – You wouldn’t know where you’d be without gadgets and technology. Robots own your property and you’re okay with it

Mostly B’s: 💰 The Rentrepreneur – You’re in it to make it big. You manage at least one full-time rental property as you work to build an Airbnb empire

Mostly C’s: 👶 The Newbie – It’s all new to you but you’re learning as you go. You do your research and often come to the Community Center to seek tips and tricks from seasoned Hosts 

Mostly D’s: 🌻 The Bohemian – You take joy in making meaningful human connections with complete strangers – As you’ve opened your door to guests, it’s opened a whole new world for you

Mostly E’s: 🕰 The Old Timer – You’ve been around and started Hosting on Airbnb back when it all started. You know the ins and outs of the business and are the go to expert to seek advice from

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jenny Slight problem - Equal numbers of Es and Cs making me a Newbie Old Timer. Ah well never mind.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ahh no way @Mike-And-Jane0 - I think we can safely say you're an old timer, with a wealth of knowledge!

-----

@Jenny 

This is fun - and we are a very mixed bag. We are a Bohemian/Old Timer/Newbie with a lot of flexibility, as we are in the Hospitality Business here. We love what we do and it is Business with Love. 

We meet every guest in person and give a tour of the space. Guests often come with a bunch of questions about the architecture, the art and off grid power system, so we are already engaged in a dialogue.

We don't use keys - the place stays unlocked. We find artificial smells objectionable so we open a window to bring in the delicious fresh mountain air and ocean breezes.  We have a huge number of books and music as well as guides to local wonderful food and destinations.  

We lead wilderness hikes on our property, night sky shows of planets with our telescope, and set up for admiring the Milky Way and meteor showers.  

We may be disappointed, however we understand if guests leave the space not as sanitary or tidy as they found it - they are on vacation. Our guests are totally respectful of our home,  the original art and antique furnishings in their space. Our design style is as eclectic as the rest of the house where we live.

Our guests tend to be much like we are, so if we end up sharing time, space, food, conversations - that's fine, and a perk; but it is totally up to the guests how much sharing or privacy they prefer.  We've had occasional late arrivals who could not get to food in time, so we've cooked for them. We keep easy to make food available for those times. 

It is our mission that every guest achieve their personal goals for their time spent here, so we do our best to assist. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ahhh I love this @Kitty-and-Creek0 - much like Laurelle you're a good all rounder!  I think both of you are just my cup of tea as well, between Laurelle's lavender and your fresh mountain air!

What's the local food like in your area?

-----

@Jenny 

Ah, local food! 

This is another Foodie area. Family owned and operated restaurants abound. Farm to table is common, organic is the norm, as is catering to food sensitivities and allergies. Local meats are easily available as is fresh caught right off the boat seafood. Local restaurants range from Nepalese, Cambodian, Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Italian to BBQ, brewpub, and steakhouse. The local Buddhist University has a vegetarian restaurant featuring the Buddhist Temple food I've sought out and enjoyed in the remote mountains of China. We've a great many regional Mexican restaurants here, reflecting  the variety of family recipes and variations on traditional dishes and sauces. "Scratch cooking" is celebrated with "nothing from a bottle of can."  It is great fun to witness sauces being made from fresh tomatoes over an open flame. We've farmers markets in every community and even a regional monthly magazine about food - farms, restaurants and specialties. Seasonal celebrations are a feature - crab, wine and mushroom festivals are famous and very popular with locals and visitors. Food paradise - definitely! 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Jenny this must be the shop aisle that I had mentioned to @Quincy and @Mariann4 

It was Aisle 4 the fun side of Hosting but in another direction. The Aisle 4 has been divided into 2 by yourself with how do we rate ourselves.

1.What is your design style ?

I think I am made up of all the mentioned

(A) minimalist - less is more space in the rooms and open plan living. Less nick -knack's to clean.

(B) Efficiency and functionality and sustainable with solar panels, water tanks, only one property to maintain and clean myself. Always trying to save on expenditures. 

(C) Contemporary trend setter with up dated furnishings to fit in with beach deco, but not too lavish.

(D) Shabby Chic, we have recycled second hand timber used on kitchen bench top husband made, recycled and revarnished dining table and chairs, FB market place twin beds painted with new mattresses, second hand stove from renovations.

(E) Traditional always buying bed linen and towels, curtains, quilts, blankets on sale, making own scatter cushions. Bought furniture beds and lounge middle of the range.

2. How do you check in Hosts ?

(C) we meet and greet each guest at the main residence as the cottage is on same block behind the house and show them where things are. This way communication is honest and open, questions can be asked to try and eliminate problems before they arise. Also no extra guests staying.

3.How would you keep your guests entertained?

(A) We provide a Smart TV - most people have their own streaming accounts.

(B) Guest arrive with own plans, eg. meet family and friends, beach holiday, weddings, triathlons, get away from the city.

(C) Board games a small collection of reading material, colouring books and toys for children.

(D) occasionally we will invite guests if staying more than five days for pre dinner drinks and nibbles. Or return guests have shared a meal barbeque or in winter a soup or stew. 

(E) Supply brochures or if asked recommend what to see depending on the weather.

4. If Guest lose the Key. How do we react or fix the problem?

(D) It is all good as we have extra keys. in 2 years we have only lost one set. we have no markers on keys to say where they belong or address and we live onsite, so would know if strangers were about.

5. A guest left the Airbnb extra dirty.

(E)  It hasn't  happened yet in 2 years. We have a sign in the kitchen to say "we hope you enjoy the kitchen and please leave it as you find it" We don't charge a cleaning fee and I mention this to the guest when showing them through the cottage and say  that I am the cleaner. 

6. Your Airbnb smells of?

(A) Fresh linen- lavender,. 

(B) Bathroom and kitchen, washing machine a disinfectant smell.

(C) Spray home with homemade lavender on made beds, curtains, carpets, cushions and lounge

(E) Leave windows and main door open on day of arrival.

7. When guests leave food in the fridge worth more than the nightly rate ...

Notify the guests as they maybe still in the area to pick up.

If food is unopen or can be cooked I recycle it myself.

Some perishables goes in the bin or green waste is composted or in the worm farm.

Criteria to rate myself.

I think I am a combination of all the criteria's and have no set box.

(A) bit pf technology,- robot vacuum cleaner for bedrooms, vacuum cleaner for skirting boards and carpet square.

(C) Still the newbie after 2 years. You always learn something new every day.

(D) A Bohemian I take pride in being a host being a human being with a face and a smile, provide home comforts, a giver, a communicator try to make one welcome, a helper when required and give respect and require respect to be given in return. The saying "give unto others as you would like to receive"  and try and make my day a peaceful place to live in.  Harmony is good it is good for the soul and mind.

@Jenny I found this quest difficult as I can't cut corners or take short cuts.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sounds like you're a good all-rounder @Laurelle3 - which I think is awesome!  You're so dedicated to your Hosting and I love it.

I'm also loving your use of lavender - one of my favourite scents - especially when it's fresh!  Do you grow your own?

Jenny

-----