GUESTS CHECK-IN

Alexia29
Level 2
New York, NY

GUESTS CHECK-IN

@Alexia29

What should I do when guest checks in as 1 guest when there are several more guest?

I need help with this issue.

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alexia29 Technically you should get them to update their booking to the correct number of people and make sure they pay the extra money before they are let in.

We always check if a singleton books our 3 bed place as its a bit odd (but not unknown). Also for us we don't charge extra for guests above 1 so its only a question of knowing who is coming not a financial issue.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Alexia29If a guest tries to check in with more people than have booked, you need to talk to them about it. There's really nothing else to be done once the group is there. You can ask them to pay for the extra guests if you charge for it through the Request money button on the reservation. You can't update the reservation once it's started. 

I checked out your listing, and as it's a whole home, it might be worthwhile to get a Ring doorbell or other entranceway camera to make sure this isn't happening. Make sure it's disclosed clearly in your listing. In your rules, let people know that they need to book for the correct number of people who will be staying, and that you don't allow unregistered guests to be on the property. Perhaps also verify the number of guests as part of your welcome message sent a few days before arrival.

If you're having consistent issues with this and are using Instant Book, it might be good to turn it off for a bit and vet guests before they complete their booking. Verify their reason for staying and the number of people in their group before taking the reservation.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry I can't agree with @Alexandra316  there is quite a lot that can be done if a guest books for one and tries to sneak in additional guests without paying or booking for them.

You can indeed both update the booking through Airbnb once they have arrived and ask Airbnb to send a request for the extra guests to be added to the booking (alternatively you can ask the extra guests to leave),

You then don't let the booking check in (if you agree to having the extra guests) until they have clicked on the booking to accept the change to include the extra guests.

@Helen3You can't update the number of people once the reservation has started. I've been there: it can't be done.