Gem of the day

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Gem of the day

"Hi Laura-

I am a single male who will be in the area for a work interview and was looking for a secluded place to spend time and prepare. I was hoping that X dates are available but am willing to book the dates in this request if they are not. 

I had a question about your unregistered guests. I am hoping to meet up with some of the women I have been chatting with online who live in the area. Would it matter to you if I brought one or two to your cottage to get to know them better? As you can see from my previous hosts I am seasoned guest who is neat and respectful. I await your reply.

Guest"

So many questions. His work interview is that flexible? Why in person and not Zoom? That's possible sure, but... Also "some of the women"? How many women are we talking? 

I think this person wants to pretend he actually lives in my house to meet these women for one night stands. He has a LOT of reviews as a guest (over 30) but many just say "nice guest" and he has a 4 for house rules. Has stayed all over the country and seems not to be from my immediate region. 

Sex worker? Con artist? Or am I just burnt out and think everyone is strange?

22 Replies 22
Lynn174
Level 2
Maryville, TN

If it doesn’t feel right don’t go with it!

Irina184
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

This feels weird for several reasons - first of all, why people traveling alone for any reason are booking a place with 2-3 bedrooms? 

Second, as many people have mentioned here - too many details on the fact he's single and his "date life". Real weird and creepy. 

However, my question would be  -- if you deny this guest, what reason do you have to state for Airbnb? 

And they usually want to block those dated after you denied someone (I wonder if the host can open them up anyway)  

Irina P

@Irina184  Dates don't get blocked for declining. They only get blocked if a host cancels. And you don't have to give any reason for declining. You seem to be confusing declines with cancellations.

Also, the OP's message from the guest seems to have come in the form of an Inquiry message- Inquiries don't need to be declined, all the host has to do is message back.

I'm not confusing)

Requires definitely are either declined or accepted -  there's simply no other way to respond to it. 

And yes, you have to provide the reason -  Airbnb gives you an option to choose why (dates are unavailable, the guest is not verified etc)  AND a space for a personal note to the guest explaining why you're declining them.  It's totally different from the cancellation. 

Irina P

@Irina184  With alll due respect, it is Booking Requests which have to be either accepted or declined within 24 hours. Inquiry messages can be pre-approved, declined, or simply send a message back, which is what most hosts do with inappropriate Inquiries.

@Irina184 I just said that if his guests were willing to provide their government IDs and fill out an ABB profile to be added to the reservation I would be happy to help him. I explained that we have a 4 living being capacity and therefore he would need to have no more than 3 additional guests without pets. Also that we do charge a nominal fee of $20 per person over 2 per night to help cover costs/offset wear and tear. He thanked me and withdrew the request 🙂

that's a good one with a government-issued ID!

Good that person withdrew the request. 

Irina P
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Laura2592 

I guess I'm lucky😉.  Our elderly neighbour used to be in the hotel business locally. I give him the first name of guests, # of guests, and booking dates.  No more.  He has made it clear that he has no problems calling me if anything untoward of the booking goes on.  I also gently "inform" my guests of this.  Knock on wood, as the saying goes, never had a call.