Get involved in the Community Center’s Festival of Sustainability 2022

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Get involved in the Community Center’s Festival of Sustainability 2022

unamed1.jpg

Hello everyone,

With planes emitting carbon emissions, fuel-burning rental cars, and large quantities of plastic water bottles left behind by guests – travelling can leave a big footprint on the planet but sustainable tourism is ever-growing.

As more travellers are looking for eco-friendly holidays, more hosts are adopting eco-friendly practices, to reduce their footprint, so that guests can still enjoy trotting the world with less of an environmental impact. With a desire to help the planet, through our own individual action, we can make an impact on a global scale.

As part of Sustainability Month at Airbnb, we are launching our first ever Festival of Sustainability!

From April 22nd to April 29th, the festival will be held here in the CC. It will be entirely online, full of great topics, collaboration, and fun conversation. 

We do need your help, though, so we would like to invite you to get involved.

Here are two ways:

1. Community Photo Collage:

Snap a selfie of yourself somewhere green. Perhaps in the favourite part of your garden, next to the tomato plants in your greenhouse, with the tree you planted last spring, at your local botanical garden, with the houseplant you named Susan, or even from that trip you took to the Amazon where that monkey climbed your back. The possibilities for “green” photo opportunities are endless!

We will stitch all the images together to make our very own community collage that we will share on the first day of the festival as a featured post on Earth Day. 

How this works: 

• Take a selfie of yourself somewhere green
  • Landscape or portrait
  • Clear, quality photos using your smartphone (or other device if you prefer)
  • Ideal image formats: JPEG or PNG
  • Send your submissions to airbnb-cc@airbnb.com to be included in the grand reveal on Earth Day or post it below.

1. Create a detailed topic all sustainability:

If you would like to create a topic to be included in the week, please comment below or contact me directly to discuss this further. We also have topics we can suggest.

We are asking for a maximum of 750 words (if you can!), which we will translate into all the languages we support here on the CC to share during the Festival. 

We hope that this festival inspires you to make at least one change to be more sustainable. Let’s all share and learn from each other during the Festival of Sustainability!

Thanks so much,

**Deadline for submissions is Friday Apr 14, 2022 

*Disclaimer 

By submitting your image to the email address above, you authorize Airbnb to use your media, your first name, profile photo, and city and country of residence in marketing materials to promote Airbnb.

Throwing in some mentions of Hosts I know love sustainable hosting @Anna1403 , @Veronica-Of-Excel-Proper0 , @Clara116, @Kitty-and-Creek0, @Lawrene0, @Delphine348 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

44 Replies 44
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

And the plastic bag 200-1000 years! Absolutely mind blowing @Sybe @Michael-O-Reilly0

-----

Delphine348
Host Advisory Board Member
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hello @Sybe  and everyone !

I chose a forest hiking photo near the house. There are many rocks with funny shapes like this one and the most famous in the Fontainebleau forest (France) have a name.

We are so lucky to live in a Biosphere Reserve, Natura 2000 and Natural Park!

48fa5c20-e77d-4559-8ab4-e9fa6d084b32.jpeg

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

That looks so interesting @Delphine348 ! Do you know why they're shaped like that?

-----

Delphine348
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hi @Sybe ,

yes 35 millions years ago, the area was a sea ! Fontainebleau forest has one of the purest sand in the world, (used by Murano for the famous glasses) and the rocks were shaped when the sea gradually disappeared. Here is a link about it  (sorry in French!) with pictures https://www.mackoo.com/Paris/foret-fontainebleau.htm

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hey everyone @Kitty-and-Creek0 @Huma0 @Anna1403 @Deirdre122 @Felicity11 @J-Renato0 @Laurelle3 @Mary1173 @Clara116 @Michael-O-Reilly0 @Delphine348 

Just a quick reminder that the deadline for this is tomorrow, 14th of April. I'm sure most of you already have, though if you haven't sent in your submissions yet make sure to do it before the deadline! 

-----

Deirdre122
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Mine will be sent through this evening! Apologies for the delay, it's been one crazy week!

@Sybe 

I had issues uploading photos, Jenny has them via email. This entire mountain and garden are my happy place!image001.jpg

IMG_5621 copy.jpg

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Kitty-and-Creek0 That view!! 🤯 😍

-----

@Sybe 

Ah, one came through. That is the view from my house!  I have another that I'm still trying to share, a favorite, called "Kitty's happy place on the trail." If I can email it to you, or get it to you another way, such as a PM,  I'd be thrilled. 

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Kitty-and-Creek0 If you mean the one with the skirt with the birds then that one came through here. If you want to send it in for the collage you can send it to the email address on the post!

-----

@Sybe 

Thanks so much - it is my Happy Place photo, a favorite spot I love to take my guests to on an easy, short walk. It is my most happy place. When you see it, you will so know why. 

I sent it to community@withairbnb.com 

I love this project!

KItty

Deirdre122
Stellenbosch, South Africa

@Sybe I took a few new photos today specifically for this, but came back to one that captures the joy of my daily life where my passions for horses and wildlife meet - I tell my guests daily that it's a lifestyle... It feels sinful to call it a job. I'm a wildlife guide, both on horseback, and hosting virtual safaris with Airbnb Online Experiences. Pictured here with my heart horse, and the best partner, Breeze - in my office on a day off. IMG_20220413_231700.jpg

Delphine348
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hello @Deirdre122 ,

You are very lucky to live in such a beautiful place on earth! Splendid photo!

Delphine

Veronica-Of-Excel-Proper0
Level 8
Sheffield, United Kingdom

@Sybe, thank you for the tag.  

Listing as a business on Airbnb means that in considering sustainability, we are mindful of how we can integrate: planet, people and profit as three key pillars of what we do.

For business listings as well as hosts inviting guests to share their homes with them, there are simple actions we can encourage to help decrease carbon emissions, reduce waste and take a people-centered approach.

Earth Day therefore can serve as a timely reminder of the importance of protecting natural resources in our respective roles as 'guardians' of the planet for future generations, and not as 'owners' of the planet's resources.