Guest Numbers - Babies

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

Guest Numbers - Babies

Understand that I like children -- i had three myself and now have grandchildren.  HOWEVER, AirBnB does NOT COUNT children as guests, and I have bookings which exceed my licensed capacity because the booking guest does not count children as guests, all because AirBnB says children are free or uncountable.

When will AirBnB get that BY LAW I cannot accept more than 4 human beings of whatever age and size as guests in my property?  I have it listed in my Rules and in my property description, but I STILL get those guests who insist that their "surprise, we brought children" as guests do not count because AirBnB said so?

This weekend's guest is bring 3 "surprise" children...and 3 adults.  OVER CAPACITY.  I am not cancelling as it is too late to get another guest and with AirBnB's new search (thank you for that really BAD update) I don't even show up any more.

3 Replies 3
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

It’s only infants under 2 years old that aren’t counted.

I have a max guest count of 4, but I’m positive I’ve gotten at least one booking for 2 adults, 2 children and 1 infant, with the “infant” being older than 2 years old. This is a devious way for guests to sneak in an extra, older child, since Airbnb doesn’t ask for proof of the infant’s age. The reason I know that there were actually 3 teenagers/adolescents is because my housekeeper saw them all leave the house at checkout.

I’m not sure why Airbnb decided a couple years back not to count infants, but it is a rule that is rife for abuse. I wish they would go back to requiring the counting of every human.

We have been trying to address the Liability issue with our HOA insurance. When these units go over the capacity by adding infants and a fire breaks out because airbnb allowed the guests to go over the legal fire marshal limit for the building. Is Airbnb Liable for the possible deaths

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Lorna170 I feel for you. This is one of the big reasons we sold our STR and one of the biggest reasons I am so hesitant to do another. Our insurance did not cover very young kids as we would have had to do ridiculous safety updates that ruined the character of the place. So it was truly for the well-being of those children that we asked parents to keep them home. And yet parents prioritized their vacation, many even pushing back that they thought the rule was a suggestion and they basically didn't care. 

Some people just don't have any class. Unfortunately this platform does nothing but reinforce this sort of entitlement.