Guest cancellation

Heather1513
Level 2
Stayton, OR

Guest cancellation

I have a flexible refund option OR a non-refundable option. The non-refundable option provides for a percentage off the rate. It is voluntary to the potential guest, they choose which option during booking. 

I had a guest book 10 days ago. They chose the non-refundable option. They booked prime weekend dates. The dates are the end of this week. Today, they contacted me, wanting to cancel and have their money back. I responded with, "the non-refundable option is voluntary and allows guests to save money while booking. It is clearly non-refundable. You may cancel, but I am not refunding the money." Now, AirBnB is involved, I'm being told that I will be penalized if I don't refund, and the calendar still shows the guest as arriving. I would understand if the dates stayed blocked, but nowhere does it say the guest cancelled. Am I missing something? 

10 Replies 10
Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Heather1513 

From what read, you have done everything right.

and AIRBNB should not claim you anything 

@Emilie 

can You help the host with that issue

Annie

Thank you! What happened (I am new and learning) is AirBnB got involved because the guest requested a mutual cancellation. This would give refund money back, but also show that I was part of the process of cancelling, which looks bad on hosts. Ultimately, I offered to refund the amount I receive, IF someone else reserves and stays the specific dates involved. Guest ended up cancelling and the dates opened back up. Being this weekend, I don't see a new reservation occuring, but you never know 😁

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Heather1513 

This raises a lot of questions:

Why is Airbnb involved ?

What is the reason the guest want/need to cancel ?

Why did the guest not cancel the reservation yet ?

If the guest booked with "non-refundable" policy, why discuss any refund ?

Is there a "extenuating circumstance" ?

What happened (I am new and learning) is AirBnB got involved because the guest requested a mutual cancellation. This would give refund money back, but also show that I was part of the process of cancelling, which looks bad on hosts. Ultimately, I offered to refund the amount I receive, IF someone else reserves and stays the specific dates involved. Guest ended up cancelling and the dates opened back up. Being this weekend, I don't see a new reservation occuring, but you never know 😁

The guest initially reserved with a group of friends. They want to cancel because a family member is in the hospital. No reason given for hospitalization. The guest, nor any friends, are in the hospital. 

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Heather1513  👋 

If a guest needs to cancel I always explain the guest that the guest will get refunded automatically according to the cancellation policy. I also always offer the guest a refund should a new guest rebook. As soon as they cancel -  the calendar will reopen so new guests are able to book. 
If a guest contacts Airbnb because they want a refund outside the cancellation policy - Airbnb will always contact the host to ask if the host would like to refund more than what the cancellation policy promises. So it is just a procedure. I have almost always replied that the guest must please respect the cancellation policy - but in case someone else rebooks some/any of the days I will gladly refund those days. 

Thank you! I ended up doing what you do (what you posted about refunding if new reservation occurs). The guest cancelled completely and the dates opened back up. Being so soon, I don't see a new reservation occuring, but you never know! 

Heather1513
Level 2
Stayton, OR

Thank you for the response! That was what happened, concerning AirBnB. It asked if I wanted to refund the entire amount without repercussion. Or, did I want to refund 25% and have penalties. The dates still show the guest checking in/out. They don't show blocked or cancelled. 

I am new and still learning. The guest got AirBnB involved because they wanted a mutual cancellation. A mutual cancellation still dings hosts because it shows hosts were part of cancelling a guest reservation. 

I told the guest if they cancelled completely, I would refund any/all dates that get new completed reservations. Guest cancelled completely. I did not take the hit as a host and the dates opened back up in the calendar. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Heather1513! I passed this on to the team yesterday, however, they came back to me saying that there was no open case under your profile. They requested that you contact them, so that they can look into this for you. 

Contact link: https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact-us

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Hello! It has been resolved! Thank you though 😊