Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Guest has checked out early and wants a refund

Kim2548
Level 2
Breage, United Kingdom

Guest has checked out early and wants a refund

We had guests check into our cabin for a 4 night stay. They messaged me late that night to say they would be leaving the next morning as they were unhappy with the accommodation. We advertise the cabin as a notch up from camping and charge accordingly and have had brilliant reviews for the last 2 years. I have contacted airbnb but am yet to hear back. The guests have now left and are asking for a full refund but the dates are still blocked. Is there anyway of unblocking the remaining dates so I can pick up another booking? I imagine that airbnb have to deal with the refund side of things? Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

@Kim2548 The only way to unblock the dates on your end would be to open the booking, click Change or Cancel, and advance the checkout date. In doing so, you may refund the guests for the unused nights if you feel this is the best resolution. However, this only goes through if the guests accept the alteration, and they can still leave a critical review regardless of whether you refund them. 

I would not consider a refund for the night they actually stayed in the property unless it was genuinely not as advertised. Best that you find out what their specific problem was and inspect the space yourself. 

There's no need to get Airbnb involved in this, unless the guest contacts them to report a Travel Issue.