Guest’s criminal history

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Guest’s criminal history

My next week’s guest is fighting me on having to show his and his friends IDs. He has no reviews and no profile photo. I decided to look the guy up, something I would not have done if he were not so insistent on anonymity. He is indicted in healthcare fraud at the tune of $12 million. There is no mistaking him. It’s a very unusual name from a small town with an unusual name. This is a non-violent crime and my house is not a shared listing so I have no problems with him staying. I am really tempted to point out to him that he gave up his privacy when he dispensed multiple millions dollars worth of medications to dead people and got caught. 

22 Replies 22
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  I really don't understand you accepting this booking. Okay, this guy isn't a murderer or an arsonist, but the nature of the crime he's indicted for means he's adept at bilking people out of money, so he seems a giant red flag for coming up with a ploy to scam a refund.

@John2406  You misunderstand the reason for requiring that guests produce ID. It isn't about some assurance they'll be good guests, it's about knowing who they are if they prove not to be.

Hosts have had valuable things stolen by guests or had their homes trashed. You can't file a police report by saying "It was some guy named Chris".

And people who balk at showing a host ID likely have some reason for that, just as Inna found with this guest.

@Sarah977 The guy instant booked some time ago and this has all just come up in light of his upcoming arrival. There’s something to be said about innocent until proven guilty. For now he’s just indicted. With my husband being in the medical field, we are often hear about cases where if you dig to the bottom of it, the doctors were just set up for some prosecutor to get a promotion. I think if he complies with my rules, he has the right to stay at my place. If he’s convicted, next comes the moral discussion of what should convicted criminals be entitled to from the society. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Inna22 @Sarah977 @Mike-And-Jane0 @Elaine701 

I couldn’t care less whether he’s guilty, innocent or something in between.

He has objected to house rules, refused to comply with local regulations, and has no “right” to occupy my house if I object to it.

There was a time when I would have offered shelter to someone who I thought was a fugitive from official persecution.

That’s over now. 

Ryan2352
Level 10
Thousand Oaks, CA

I have the same rules and it's front and center in my house rules and mentioned in all my pre-arrival messages.  I would tell them that this is non-negotiable and that it's an insurance requirement to know who is in the property and that when "Bob Smith" books that "Bob Smith" shows up.

I would tell them that I would be happy to refund their reservation (less any ABB fees).

Genaro18
Level 6
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Let me be the one to tell you why you have a much bigger problem than you think. This posting should have been called checking IDs of potential guests. You gave yourself away in the headline the type of person that you are so I think the problem here is that there’s a policy and it can be followed.

I am WAY tired of the hosts complaining about their own policies resulting in bad reviews but a better situation.

is King Obvious here as well?

Genaro

@Genaro18 I really try to follow what you were trying to say but unfortunately I couldn’t understand

@Inna22  I couldn't either.

@Genaro18 “Is King Obvious here as well?”

Nope. No one has a clue what you’re on about.