Guest sent an email about reservation.

Rasheda3
Level 9
KCMO, MO

Guest sent an email about reservation.

Hello all! .I have a guest coming this weekend for 1 night,  no reviews and will be in town for a football game as my home is very close to the sports complex. 

I communicate via the airbnb app about all reservations to protect myself,  but somehow the guest is emailing me saying 4 people will be coming and not just 1. She wants to add on the extra guest and wants to know how to change it. I messaged her through the app and no response yet,  I also called and no answer. I'm a little nervous as she has also asked for an early check in. Any advice on how to proceed? 

49 Replies 49

@Rasheda3  It depends on how much competition you have, how many similar units there are in the area and whether you offer anything unique.  We resisted using Instant Book for years, and we still stayed almost fully booked, but finally we dropped so low in the search results that we had to turn it on.  We have all the boxes checked for good reviews/government ID and that helps.  I have had good and poor IB guests, I find they are generally not as good at communicating and fewer leave reviews.  

@Mark116 Thank you!!! I appreciate your response. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rasheda3  Yes, using IB is one of the main things that heightens search ranking. As Mark says, whether that will make a huge difference to your bookings depends on your local competition.

But I refuse to submit to Airbnb's coersion tactics, trying to force hosts to use IB by lowering search ranking.  There are other factors that affect visibilty, so sometimes my ranking is good, sometimes it isn't.

Guests manage to find my place even though it isn't tops in visibility. My choice to vet guests myself has led to virtually hassle-free hosting. I have never had to contact Airbnb about an objectionable guest, never had to cancel, never had guests who damage anything, try to scam refunds, or leave bad reviews.

Quality of guests is far more important  to me than quantity.

Don't be scared to experiment- whether you use IB or not isn't some major irreversible decision. If bookings all dry up with IB off, you just toggle it back on. Easy peasy.

@Sarah977 Thank you so much!! I'm going back and forth with the IB thing. I took it off for a few hours,  then added it back. I'll see how it plays out for me. 

I'm happy you have never had a bad guest. That's amazing! 

Do you put your house rules in the description on your listing? 

@Rasheda3  I don't have any house rules. 🙂

Well, I do have some checked off in the house rules section, the standard stuff like no children, no pets, no parties, but aside from the no pets, those are all sort of a moot point in a private room listing for 1 guest. 

I can't imagine what rules I would really need to make other than that. I don't consider things like cleaning up after oneself in the kitchen, for instance, to be a "rule", it's just what respectful adults do. And all my guests have. Same for not being loud if a guest comes home late. 

It's not like I've never had any issues with guests, I've had a couple, but was able to work things out amicably with the guests without any big drama, Airbnb involvement, or bad reviews.

It's really a whole different thing hosting a private room in one's home from hosting an entire house or apartment.

I think one reason I get guests who are a good fit for me and my offering is that I specifically market towards the type of guest who will be comfortable and happy here.

Not sure if you know, but you can check out any host's listing here by clicking on their profile photo, then View Profile on the next screen. You can then click on the thumbnail of their listing on the profile page to look at it.

Looking at your listing, I think you could put more information in your listing description. There are lots of sections when you go to your Edit Listing page that you haven't filled out- The Space, Guest Access, Interaction with guests. Guests tend not to read through really wordy stuff, but the more you can paint a word picture for guests without getting too verbose, the better.

And you ought to remove your phone number from your listing. You should never make your phone number public. Guests receive your number when their booking is confirmed. And you can out it in the house manual. 

Congrats on all your great reviews so far. 

( BTW, I was born and raised in Kansas City. Well, mostly raised in Overland Park, technically Kansas, but really a suburb of KC)