Guest wanting to cancel

Julia2548
Level 2
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom

Guest wanting to cancel

I had a booking for 5 days 10th-15th July. Great! But the next day the guest messaged to say she wanted to cancel, didn’t feel it was safe to travel to visit family after all. She is asking if I’d consider a refund (I have strict cancellation policy so if I say no she loses 50%)

She booked on 29th June

I told her I thought she had 48 hours to cancel for free, but on checking, that’s only if it’s 14+ days before arrival. I told her to check with Airbnb for advice,  as I couldn’t get hold of them. 
She appears to be new to Airbnb, joined 2020, no reviews. 
I would probably send her a refund, once I’d received the money, if I could rebook the dates. But she hasn’t actually cancelled yet, (so the dates are unavailable to anyone else) and if she leaves it until after tomorrow, she stands to lose 100%, doesn’t she?  I don’t know whether she realises that. 
But I haven’t heard any more from her. 

I haven’t had a situation like this before, and I’m not sure what to do. What do you think? 
TIA

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Julia2548 If you are kind enough to refund then you need to make sure she is aware she will lose the Airbnb service fee that she pays AS WELL as the 3%+vat that you pay.

You could alternatively offer her a credit against  a future stay. Tell her to message you when she wants to book and you will send a special offer -  This would be dependant on her cancelling to free up your July dates

Julia2548
Level 2

That’s a very good idea. She would need to pay another Airbnb service fee though, wouldn’t she? I was surprised at the amount guests are charged - 94 euros in this case. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Julia2548 True but she will lose the service fee if she cancels so at least she hasn't lost the 50% as well

Julia2548
Level 2

Yes. She’s not responding at all now, though, so I don’t know what. I wish she’d just cancel if she’s going to, before she has to pay 100%. I’d rather she didn’t come than feels she has to because she’s paid. And of course if she doesn’t cancel I can’t rebook the dates. Aaarrrggghhh!!!