Guests inviting other guests during Covid-19

Mary3978
Level 2
Port Washington, NY

Guests inviting other guests during Covid-19

My husband and I have been staying at our two family vacation home, on one side since mid-March 2020/Covid-19 lockdown NYC. We finally decided to start taking reservations our rental unit out when restrictions were starting to be phased so that it would be safer for both host/guests, during the Covid-19 pandemic, but there was still a social distancing requirement.

The group prior that we hosted at the beginning of June 2020 was great. Four adults. All working from home. No issues. No extra guests. Then we agreed to take this couple with one child for a one month term. I made it clear that my husband and I, and possibly my adult stepson and his girlfriend would be stay on our side of the house. 

Fourth of July weekend hits and the wife went back home, the husband is staying with the child, and a family of five shows up.... I don't say anything. I don't assume that these people are spending the night or a weekend. I wake up in the morning, their car is still in my driveway.  Since the wife was the one that booked the reservation, I send her a message thru Airbnb, simply  asking her how many guests are staying, and how long are they staying for? She responds that she will talk to her husband about it. (Does not answer how many people or how long they are staying). I then send a quick response letting her know that I am sending a request for $50 per night / per person x 2 nights = $500.

This situation is incredibly upsetting because 1.) I am trying to be a responsible host during these trying times. 2.) Why should I be okay as a host to accept these additional guests. If they would have asked I would have said no. 3.) I do care if I get a bad review that is not warranted, but not at the expense of being taken advantage of. I am clearly being taken advantage of. 

Thanks for your feedback or any suggestions on going forward, so I can avoid this kind of situation in the future. 

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mary3978  To avoid this situation in the future, make it really clear to guests when they book that no visitors are allowed on the property, only people on the reservation. Put this wording in your listing and reiterate in a message at booking time, and ask for the guest to confirm that they are clear on that point. 

When you do this, if anything like this should happen again, instead of " I send her a message thru Airbnb, simply  asking her how many guests are staying, and how long are they staying for?", your message should read "Hello XX, as mentioned in my listing and reiterated when you booked, no extra guests or visitors are allowed on the property. Please honor the policy you agreed to and ask whoever is visiting you to leave now."

And don't wait- do this as soon as you see anyone else show up, whether they spend the night or not.

This is best to be a general policy, not just during COVID.