Guests leave house unrentable

Guests leave house unrentable

The last people who stayed in my house have left it in a state that I do not feel comfortable renting out to the next people. They come in a couple days and I want to let them know in advance that the last people have destroyed my house. How will this negatively impact my attempt to get super host status and will airbnb help pay for some of the problems caused by these guests? They put something down a toilet that was not toilet paper and it has caused the main line that drains into the city sewer to be clogged, therefore, not allowing any water to drain out from any drain in the house. One of the bedrooms had throw up all over the mattress and comforter. They either tried to clean up the mess in the washing machine or they threw up more in the washing machine. 

It took over 8 hours to clean up and it is still not in a presentable state plus the plumbing issues that were caused by them. Will airbnb pay for a plumber? The guests do not think it is their fault for putting something down the toilet.

6 Replies 6
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@David-Henry0 

Welcome to Airbnb, you'll most likely have an up hill battle with Airbnb to get compensation for these disgusting Guests (I wanted to say scum).

Surely you making so much money on Airbnb you could cover the cost of damage yourself! (sarcasm)

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@David-Henry0 

If you are unable to host upcoming guests, ask airbnb to cancel penalty free,  because of previous guest damage, so you can  work with Airbnb to cancel the guests booking so Airbnb can help them find alternative accommodation and process your claim.

I presume you have already familiarised yourself with putting in a claim through the Airbnb guarantee for the damages guests have caused and have video and photo evidence of said damage. You can of course include the plumbing costs, but it is up to Airbnb to decide how much of your claim they will pay out on.

If the guests don't reply to your claim/refuse to pay Airbnb will review and let you know what part of your claim will be paid out.

Speak to Airbnb but I think there is some provision in the guarantee if you have to cancel future guest bookings because of the damage.

Make sure you get an invoice for the extra cleaning, plumbing etc to submit.

Do make sure you leave an honest review of these guests to warn future hosts.

Not quite sure what you mean by this could negatively impact on your attempts to get superhost status.

Negatively impact me in a way that I'm cancelling on someone staying in my house since superhost cannot have cancellations.

@David-Henry0 Do everything through Airbnb: don't cancel anything yourself. You should not be penalized.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As I said in my post Airbnb will allow penalty free cancellations in these circumstances.  @David-Henry0 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David-Henry0  Never base your decisions about a guest situation on your desire to get Superhost status or to avoid a bad review. Those things are behavior modification tricks that Airbnb uses to strike fear and trepidation into hosts. That will work to your detriment. Base your decisions on common sense and logical behavior.