Guests stole property and admitted to it. Airbnb won't help at all.

Corey183
Level 3
St. Augustine, FL

Guests stole property and admitted to it. Airbnb won't help at all.

Hi Community. This is a bit of a rant because we're completely dumbfounded by the "host guarantee" and how little airbnb is helping. 

We had our worst guests to date, and while we won't go into all of the details about the house rules they broke (like smoking cigarettes), we noticed some of our expensive acrylic glasses were missing. We have a pool, so don't allow glassware around it. We do provide really nice outdoor tableware though. 

We asked the guests if they had taken the glasses and they replied immediately (and shockingly) that they did take them. This was all recorded in the AirBnB comms channel. After a few back and forths, they felt they shouldn't have to pay for them because they thought they could take them, like they were souvenirs or something. Once they stated that, I opened a request for the replacement. They of course didn't respond to it, so I turned it over to claims. 

Fast forward 2 days, and Claims is saying that since another guest had already checked in when the conversation with the guest about the missing item occurred, that there is no proof these guests had taken them. 

WHAT?!!? They, in writing, admitted to taking them and that they would not pay for them. 

We are absolutely livid that airbnb is saying they won't help because my conversation about the missing items was hours after another guest had already checked in. Even though we knew they were missing and was in touch with the guests that took them, airbnb is not helping at all. Again, the guests admitted to it.  They even said sorry for taking them, but then said they thought all of the outdoor items were for them to take, if they wanted. These guests had the nerve to think that they can take whatever they wanted from our home. All of this is in writing. They had a great time and took our wine glasses as souvenirs. 

Why is Airbnb not assisting with this "host guarantee" ?

We have another claim open for the cigarette smoking as we have stated in our policy that smokers aren't allowed. Smoking isn't allowed and if found, we would fine them. We have perimeter video of them smoking, the cigarette butts left behind, and our cottage wreaked. So much so, we had to apologize to the next guests, even with the 4 hours we had between guests checking in. 

Sorry, but we're fuming right now, and beyond frustrated with how we're being treated as hosts. Meanwhile these guests are out there, reserving new places and will create these same issues for other hosts - without any reprimand. I've asked Airbnb what they are going to do about these guests, and was told nothing. There is nothing they're going to do. 

Again, this is a bit of a rant - because we're just so upset with this whole ordeal. 

If anyone has any way to challenge this outcome, please let us know. 

11 Replies 11
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

There are times, @Corey183, when trying to get a point across to customer services at Airbnb is akin to banging your head against a wall, repeatedly. Advice often suggests trying again and again until you get a rep who understands what's gone on. And if that doesn't work, use the Twitter route.

You'd seem to have a watertight case, what with all the on-platform correspondence, so it's baffling why you can get some sort of resolution, despite the multiple-hoop-jumping rules (https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place). 

As for this guest getting away with it in future, one hopes you've left them a robust/honest review, meaning they won't be able to create the same issues for other hosts.  

@Gordon0  I've spoken with 3 people, and 2 have said it would be escalated to a Sr Claims person, and then the ticket is immediately closed. It's tiring trying to even get anyone to follow a process. 

Also, and get ready for this, Airbnb took down our review of them because it mentioned missing property they admitted to taking! 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Corey183 Sadly Airbnb are a commercial company and if they can avoid paying out because you didn't precisely follow their terms and conditions then they will. Shaming them via Twitter is  a good idea but even this may fail I am afraid.

@Mike-And-Jane0 The entire conversation is documented in airbnb platform. We asked the guest if they took them the next morning, they admitted to doing so, and they refused to pay. Once this occurred, another guest had already checked in. We're very booked, and have 4hrs between guests to turn over.  I'm not sure what more we were supposed to do. What's the point of having a security deposit and a host guarantee. It seems guests can get away with anything and everything. I've been reading horror stories in this community about how poorly Airbnb is treating hosts in the same situation, with guests destroying property, jaccuzzis, taking items, and on video - and Airbnb evades paying out or reprimanding the guests. 

In our case, Airbnb even took down our review of them because we mentioned that they had taken personal property and admitted to it. Since Airbnb cannot "prove they took it" my review is false and was removed. These guests are now able to go about booking with others and doing the same thing.  Below is just the beginning of the convo where they admitted to it. The conversation got very nasty with them accusing us of having cheap items, etc etc and after 2 days of their slander, we opened a claim for not just the missing items, but also the breaking of house policy, rules, smoking in our cottage, etc.

Everything has been denied by "corporate" and they let me know that the guests have been informed that they've done nothing, and will remain on the platform. 

Corey183
Level 3
St. Augustine, FL

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 9.48.35 PM.png

@Corey183  As others have pointed out, if you don't follow Airbnb's claims process to the letter, they will use that to deny you. 

Aside from that, I don't think your second message to the guest is worded in a way that makes it clear that the guest stole something. First of all, why "Sorry"? And there was no confusion for you to be sorry about. The way you wrote that it could be interpreted to mean there was some misunderstanding between you and the guests.

If it were me, I sure wouldn't waste any more time on this for a couple of acrylic glasses, regardless of them being high quality.

In the future, it's better to say "There were found to be some missing items after the guest checked out."

That wording will be clear to other hosts and won't get the review removed.

Sorry you had these rude guests. Who in their right mind thinks the dishware provided is something to take home with you?

I didn't include the rest of the messages here, but they got heated over a 2-day period...this was just the beginning. Our policy is very clear and all items from our place are to remain at our place. It's written in several places, policy, check-out procedures, and in our listing, for this very reason. There is nothing wrong with how my wife worded her initial response. My wife isn't from this country, and english is her second language. I appreciate you taking time to comment. The guest clearly admitted to taking our personal effects.

They also smoked cigarettes on our property, and we have seen it twice on ring cameras that are in front of our place (after check out when we could smell it in the cottage and found cigarette butts at the door, we reviewed the footage). They clearly smoked on our property. We have the remnants and photos inside the cottage, + video on them on the driveway walking into our place smoking. Still Airbnb says we have no proof since another guest had already checked in when we brought it to their attention. It's absurd. We have all the proof possible. 

Our policy states that smoking will be fined, and is not allowed on or near our place, nor do we rent to smokers. 

When you have 4hr turn-around, there is no way to have already contacted the guests, tried to resolve, replaced the items, and opened the case before another guest checks in. That is beyond absurd and the statement that Airbnb provided. They stated we need to try and resolve with the guests, have found, fixed, or replaced the items (cleanings, etc), and submitted a receipt of costs before another guest checked in. Were we to cancel all reservations to buy a couple of glasses and wait several days for the guest to pay before allowing anyone else stay with us? (I'm being facetious as you know that isn't reasonable, at all) 

You are also mixing up what was stated in the review versus the conversation with them. I wrote the review and clearly stated

"Kitchen items were found missing. The guests admitted to having taken them and refused to pay for their replacement. They also broke house policy by smoking on our property. Evidence of smoking included cigarette butts found, and video captures of these guests smoking. Our policy doesn't allow for smoking or smokers on our property."  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Corey183  Hey you don't have to try to convince me that the policy for making a claim is really hard to comply with for hosts who have same day turnovers. I'm in your side. I was just reiterating the reality of how Airbnb sets things up so as to make a claim as easy for hosts to screw up as possible.

And that the guests admitted they took them should be a slam dunk for a reimbursment without having to follow a "before the next guest checks in"  policy.

And I get it that these were all-around entitled, disrespectful guests.

I think you misunderstood me re the wording. It had nothing to do with your wife not being a native English speaker. What I meant was that you have to be really careful in general how you word things in a situation like this, or Airbnb can use it as an excuse to say there is doubt. (Although in this case, the  guest admitted it) If you use the word sorry, confusion, or misunderstanding, Airbnb could choose to interpret that as you accepting part of the blame. And if they can, they will.

In English, as you're aware, sorry has 2 meanings. One just shows sympathy, as in, 'sorry that happened to you', and the other is apologizing for something you are accepting some responsibility for.

Sorry is a very overused word by hosts when dealing with guests, IMO. So unless it's really clear from the context, I think it's a good idea to stay away from it as much as possible unless something happened that really was your fault

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sarah977 @Corey183 

I was once ordered to write an official apology for an incident where the unqualified, overworked, and incompetent crew of a US Navy ship contaminated 50,000 gallons of jet fuel that I transferred to their ship at sea, in the dead of night, in a combat zone, in foul weather.

I wrote: “I am truly sorry that the crew of the USS USELESSNESS  eff’d up this evolution.”

Respectfully submitted, Yours Truly.”

Never heard another word about it. I guess that was enough to satisfy the navy.

So, yes, I’m sorry that the Navy sucks, but I’m not about to take responsibility for it.

Angelique16
Level 2
San Juan, Puerto Rico

Hi Corey! I've been hosting for 8 years now. Something similar happened to me a couple of years ago. I had terrible guests who: left a bag of trash in the hallway of our beach complex (I could have been fined $100 for that). My check-out instructions clearly state guests need to dispose of the trash in the dumpsters. In addition, they broke some antique ceramic (they used it as an ashtray, in a non-smoking apartment). The worst thing is they baked a whole chicken in an antique acrylic snacks tray). It was completely melted in my oven with leftovers of rotten chicken. I had incoming guests the same day so I was franticly getting the place ready. As soon as I got home I wrote to the guest and she said she was going to pay. I said: "OK, I'll issue the request and I'm confident between you and your four friends you'll easily gather the amount". Well, at 5 pm I issued the request and Airbnb denied it because the new incoming guest had just checked in at 3 pm. The truth or evidence doesn't matter for them if the procedure is not done by the book.

Fast forward to the last march I had 5 guests chain-smoking cigarettes and weed blunts inside my apartment. A unit that is mostly closed with a-c running all day. They left trash inside, trash on the beds, napkins with blood, maggots. Again, my check-out instructions are clear that trash needs to be disposed of in the dumpster and that dirty dishes or leftovers can't be left in the unit as we may not be immediately in there (if there are not back-to-back incoming guests). This time I immediately called a professional cleaning service (they clean mattresses and sofas to rid the smell of smoke) and got a written quotation for the services and issued the request.  Airbnb granted me the payment with no hesitation. This worked for me because I didn't have incoming guests on the same date, in fact, I had about four days. I'm under the impression they only issue the payment because I had a receipt for the performed services and I fear they wouldn't have paid if let's say, I had done the cleaning frantickly just before the next guests. My point is: I'm not sure Airbnb would help enforce a "fining" action, just for breaking the rule without it being tied to damages and they would only pay for "the solution" (and not so sure they would pay if there is not a receipt form a third party providing the solution). I actually would like if someone could pitch in in their experience with this.

Lessons:

1) When trouble arises and there are incoming guests. We need to stop, and immediately report/issue a money request. Even if we haven't been able to talk to the guest. The request can always be modified, negotiated along the way. 

2) Prepare a folder with the receipts of all of the items in your unit. so that you can quickly place the request with the receipts and leave the discussion for later.

3) Get acquainted with professional services to have quotations in advance for different situations, so they could readily send one with an updated date, if necessary.