Has anyone else noticed suddenly lots of "bad value" ratings? We haven't raised our price since 2018 ....

Has anyone else noticed suddenly lots of "bad value" ratings? We haven't raised our price since 2018 ....

I have a theory that the soaring price of eggs, gas, etc. and inflation generally hitting people's daily lives in other ares, is suddenly making everyone freak out about prices. Problem is we are highly competetive, sell out 200+ nights a year, and suddenly everyone is leaving terrible ratings for "value."  Should we really all be punished in a review when we demonstrably have left prices alone for years?

I'm considering banning such folks from returning, sheesh.   Curious if others are seeing the same trend.

17 Replies 17
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@John-and-Heather0  we never were fully at the market price before we stopped hosting and we STILL had people complain about value. There was a certain type of guest in our case-- a retired couple who were new to ABB-- who would ding us most often. 

I think that rating is absurd and should be removed, along with "location."

@Laura2592  Wow, that’s the exact profile of the guest I mentioned earlier in this thread.

It’s very hard not to “profile” in this business. Based on my experiences, certain types set off alarms for me - 50’s-60’s newbies, singles under 25 looking for a “fun weekend”, superhosts, etc. After a few more questions, most of the time I end up feeling better and booking them anyway, and most of the time things turn out just fine. But it’s hard to temper that initial reaction.  

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Urgh!
Guests who were gushingly lovely about the place biffed me on location and value just a day or two ago. They paid £200 for the three days. The local (more-than-a-bit scruffy) Premier Inn was charging £195 per night for the same period. 
I wrote to her thanking her for her 'valuable feedback' but asking why she'd booked a place in an area she didn't want to be in at a price she thought too expensive. Watch this space.