Has autumn come to your area??

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Has autumn come to your area??

We are in the 4 distinct season zone of the eastern US. I recall preparing our Airbnb last year on Oct 17. We went in in the early evening and it was 75 degrees after a 80 degree day. We had the windows open. Over the course of the few hours we were there, the temperature dropped to 55 degrees and suddenly autumn had come! This year, we had some 40 degree nights over the weekend and actually had guests using the fireplace at our cottage. Autumn has arrived way ahead of schedule!

Has autumn come to you? Do you do any seasonal changes for your space? We start putting out pumpkins and change our fresh flowers to more "fall" colors instead of the bright pinks and purples we use in the summer. This also begins our dreaded "burn season" where every guest has a fire and I do nothing but explain how to build one or open the flue....

20 Replies 20
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Laura2592, as you know we are across the great Ocean from @Robin4 @Kath9 @Cathie19 @Rachel177 @Sandra126 and others in Australia and it's also Springtime here in New Zealand.

The newborn lambs, calves, pheasants and ducklings are all frolicking about in  the nearby Cornwall Park, bees are buzzing in my garden & I'm looking forward to Monarch butterflies returning together with longer daylight and swimming season.

Enjoying snuggling up with your fire and the great outdoors in winter.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yesterday, although officially the first day of Autumn, was 25 degrees C and sunny - a perfect Summer day by London standards, but I spent the day tidying up in the garden and removing Summer bedding that run its course. Today, Autumn has arrived in full force and by tomorrow night, we will have lows of 7 degrees.

So, soon the central heating will come on. I wouldn't normally put it on until October (I still have doors and windows open), but I know I will have complaining guests otherwise.

We're not much into seasonal decorations here, outside of Christmas and a bit for Halloween, but I made a little Autumn wreath for the front door.

IMG_20200923_130813_602.jpg

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Brazilian pepper pods? (on the wreath) So, Halloween has come to the U.K? It's a fave holiday of mine, along with the Day of the Dead on Nov.1st. I expect the entire West coast of North America is praying hard for an early fall & a wet winter!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sally221 

My current guest is doing a floristry course here. She comes home with all sorts of arrangements and her room now looks like a flower shop. I made the wreath using left overs from bouquets she was throwing out. Waste not, want not 🙂

Jerry250
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

We were swimming in the North Sea here in North Norfolk England on Tuesday. The air temperature was 24c, sea temperature 17c. The next day the air temperature plummeted 10c and it rained heavily. Today our guests have the heating on. The sea is still warm, but the Cromer tides are very high. Autumn has arrived. 

DSC_2777.JPG

Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

We are noticing a change in weather in the early mornings and then back to smoke and bad air quality towards the evening. LA is going to be in the 100s next week. Combine that with the smoke and its going to be another fun week in LA. We want rain!!!!