Have we entered a ‘police’ state!

Answered!
David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Have we entered a ‘police’ state!

So disturbed & outraged that Airbnb have excluded my dear friend  @susan17 from this community!

Susan is a real. Susan was here from the beginning. She is a SuperHost with most amazing reviews. Reviews of the kind  we only could dream of. Guests all rave about her hospitality. She will arrange a taxi to go buy ANY THING YOU WANT. Guests on a weekend away, want her kind of hosting. 

Susan is my friend. When my apartment was trashed by a party crowd and they threatened to kill me. They caused £12,000 damage. Yes I involved the police. But Susan reached out EVERY DAY to ensure I was ok! She is most amazing asset to this community! She cares about people! She cares even more about hosts! 

I am disgusted that Susan has been excluded. This CC is turning into a police state.

No! Hosts need an outlet to express their frustration. Who are you admins to state a post is ‘negative’!

How dare you exclude a host who supported so many of us!!! Outraged! Absolutely disgusting you could turn against one of the most supportive hosts out there ! Total disgust that you hung @Susan17  out to dry!!! 

Top Answer
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

I wanted to come back to you on our decision to restrict Susan's access to the Community Centre.

As mentioned in several topics elsewhere, the decision was the result of repeated breaches of the Community and Content Guidelines over the last 12 months.

We have been working and talking with Susan for a long time now both publicly and privately to resolve this, however it could no longer continue. Being completely honest with you, this was a really hard decision to make, one we really hoped it wouldn't come to.  

We have enjoyed many conversations with Susan over the past few years and she is a very knowledgeable host, but, the way we act here has to benefit the overall health of the community we are all part of and unfortunately her contributions were no longer constructive. 

I'm pleased to say that it's a very rare thing to happen in the CC, and as you can imagine it's certainly not nice for us Community Managers either. 

This is everything I have to say on this, so I do hope it is helpful. Please feel free to contact me via CC DM or any of the Community Managers here. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

P.S - I hope you don't mind @David6 I've moved this discussion to the Help Board in the CC–all comments remain. 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

158 Replies 158
Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

BTW, I think her letter was very well composed and delivered even if I don't know the backgrounds of most of which she speaks but many here do and I can tell she has earned their respect.  I wish her great luck and as she pointed out, this could be the best promotion she could get in the press about the book she is writing, I bet sells to lots of people thinking about or currently participating in the small hosting business.   All I have for a frame of reference personalty is my own experiences Really until C19 came to town, our success  has been mind-blowing phenomenal with not so much grief as we imagined 15 years ago when we started down this pathway that merged with  Airbnb.   Its been good and as soon as folks feel more confident, the guests will return to Bearpath Lodging.  

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Ute42 @Robin4

They say opposites attract, Now I've gone and done it.

I have the utmost regard for both of you and both of you are the reasons amongst others, why i keep my oar in the swamp.

@Cormac0 

There is only one person on this CC that I love more than Robin and that is Susan  :):)

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ute42 

We have had some great exchanges over the past few years and I just knew if there was anybody here who could rattle my bell it would be Ute.

Hey, I will get even with you mate, I hate being in someones debt!

Just didn't want some of the newcomers here getting the wrong impression!

I am really concerned about José-Renata's post though. It sounds out of keeping with José and it is certainly out of keeping with me!

Keep safe Ute!

Cheers.....Rob

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

**[Inappropriate content removed - Community Center Guidelines]

@Ute42 

LOL

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Susan17

I lament that you was banned! You were one of the best members of this community.

I have not seen any post of yours where you used unfitting language.

What you did it was to say some truths!

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Robin4 

You have been around this community for many years and your first posts were quite activist and criticising the way the platform handles situations specifically towards hosts.

Here, this 'Police State' thread is not just about one person being banned is it? It's more about what she stood for, who she stood for, and the inequality. It was what she posted about. 

Recently, whilst I was away from the forum you posted this:

I am concerned that there have been a considerable number of hosts, not just here on the CC but on the other two sites I am active on, who state they have submitted a claim to Airbnb against a guest who has rejected the claim, and Airbnb have subsequently removed the hosts listing, profile and cancelled their future reservations with no explanation, and no right of appeal. 

I know we only hear one side of the story here but, I am curious, is there a legal precedent where a user of a company can be terminated for nothing more than asking the company to abide by its own rules and terms of service!

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Airbnb-closed-my-account/m-p/665884#M153482

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Airbnb-Punishing-Hosts-for-Enforcing-House-Rules/td-p/12...

h

ttps://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Closed-Account-Horror-Stories-What-s-the-Deal/m-p/105822....

I could post another 5 recent links but, you get the message.

In all the time you have been here, have you seen any beneficial changes for hosts as I believe this is the underlying problem and will continue, and the quick-fix solution of preventing one host posting links to travesty's is just not going to improve things?

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I was the host who kicked off this discussion by posting this ‘police state’ conversation.

What a total joke this CC is. I stopped contributing to the CC at time of the ‘black kids  killed at party house.’ I was outraged  that hosts stopped discussing the subject and would rather contribute to threads about baking cakes. 

I personally hold the admins totally responsible for the horrific way this CC is run. It IS a police state on here and I am literally no way interested in being part of it. And I don’t want to hear from ANY host telling me I can’t hold this opinion. You do not have a right to close my voice down. I blame the horrendous admins!!!!! You understand @Robin4!!!! Don’t you dare tell me I can’t have a different option to you! 

Unless you want to post &  go along  with  the ‘happy, clappy, we love Airbnb’ brainwashing, you can risk being banned? Really? What an absolute joke. Out of the 100s of thousands of Airbnb hosts why so very few post here on CC?! I wonder why! Maybe they can’t recognise the cult like culture that is propagated here? For that I totally blame the admins! Anyway, I’ll leave you to bake your cakes. Many of the responses are  a huge embarrassment & I regret kicking this discussion of! I hope this thread is deleted or mothballed ASAP!