Host calculation for COVID cancellation

Despina27
Level 2
Arnold, MD

Host calculation for COVID cancellation

I need help understanding how to calculate my host refund under the COVID-19 plan.

To keep it simple I will use this example:

I have a Strict Cancellation Policy

Guest cancelled within the 50% refund timeframe

Guest cancelled using COVID-19 policy

5 nights $100/night totaling $500

Cleaning fee $100

Airbnb Svc fee $20

500+100-20= 580 (This would be my normal payout without cancellation)

500 @50% = 250 (This would be my normal payout with cancellation) 

250 @25%= 62.50 (This would be my payout under the COVID-19 policy)

Service Fee refund 20 (No charge for COVID-19 policy)

Refund 62.50 + 20 = 82.50

Is this right?  My calculations are not even close to the amounts Airbnb has estimated for a refund.

Can someone help?

6 Replies 6
Matt26
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I was just about to post a question asking the same thing. If anyone knows how the "25%" is calculated, please let us know.

I'm aware that it all depends on the cancelation policy and the date canceled.

I just tried to balance the Host Support Payment against my numbers and they're all off.  Not a single one balances back to the original payout with all the factors in @Despina27  example above plus my reservations have tax. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Despina27 Your calculation is basically correct, except for the service fee part. You have added the service fee to your calculation for what you should be refunded, when you should have subtracted it- Airbnb is charging the host 3% service fee on the refunds. So 50% of $500 - the service fee, $42.50, instead of $82.50 total refund.  It's outrageous that they are charging the service fee on the entire reservation, for a cancelled booking, but they are.

Thanks for clarification. I'm so confused, this is crazy.

As a Host, I have never canceled a stay before so I was not aware there was a charge for canceling.

I saw this on the Extenuation Circumstance Policy and assumed that was the 3% fee.

Is Airbnb accepting fees on cancellations?
Airbnb is waiving all host and guest fees on COVID-19 cancellations under our extenuating circumstances policy. We’re either refunding our fees or providing a travel credit in an amount that includes our fees.

@Despina27 Yes, it's all very confusing. I think what Airbnb means by waiving all host fees on COVID cancellations is that they won't charge you the $50 punishment fee for cancelling, as they normally do. But it's very ambigous and miseading. All I know is that other hosts have been reporting here that they were charged the 3% service fee on the reservations they are getting 25% back on.

Maybe contact Airbnb, copying that wording you posted here, and ask why you are then being charged the service fee? And post the response you get here. I'm sure other hosts would like an answer to that, as well.

Matt26
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I've factored a 3% on my payouts and it still doesn't balance. I have a call into Airbnb. Who knows when I'll hear back. I'll keep you posted.

Jill104
Level 2
Paso Robles, CA

I'm late on posting this, but am glad that I am not alone in this payout dilemma. I had several reservations cancel due to covid, back in March & April. At first, I was told that even though I have a strict cancellation policy, I would not be receiving any payout. Then, we all got the message that Airbnb was retracting things, in order to help hosts during these times, allowing us to be reimbursed 25% of any qualifying, cancelled reservations. For weeks, I went back & forth with Airbnb, as like you @Despina27 and @Sarah977 , according to my calculations, totals did not add up correctly either. They improperly paid me out. It is VERY confusing, not only to us as hosts, but I don't think the service reps even know how to calculate things. On top of that confusion, it seems that the initial payout amount I "should have received", suddenly does NOT match with the payout amount that Airbnb is now using to determine the new payout amount. I repeatedly asked the representative to show me and provide me with the exact numbers, totals and basically spell out the calculation being used, so I could better understand how this payout amount was derived. She kept blatantly avoiding my requests, never provided me with one figure or calculation. She took over a week to respond to my messages. Apparently I could only be helped by that particular agent and had to wait for her to return back to work before getting a response. After waiting a week, her answers were completely evasive. I asked to have my claim transferred to a Supervisor or someone else that could further assist me, but she informed me that she was a "Supervisor" and this claim was now considered "closed". She apologized that I did not get the "answers" I wanted and that was the end of it.How is there NOONE else to talk to? How am I not allowed to know the details of the payout?  I was NOT paid out properly & my money is being withheld!!! This is money that is still owed to me, as per their OFFER and part of their "special, extenuating procedures/policy".  My payout amount was off between $40-$60 per cancellation. This may seem like a small amount, but when ALL income ceases, that money would buy us some food or help pay a utility bill. A few weeks ago, I noticed I got a $50 travel credit applied to my account. I do not want a travel credit in lieu of money I am rightfully owed. I don't understand why Airbnb offered to pay us out if they weren't going to properly do so. Did any of you ever figure anything else out since you initially posted this?