Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Host cancel reservation due to guest breaking house rules

Host cancel reservation due to guest breaking house rules

I currently have a guest where the smell of marijuana was reeking from her room into the "shared guest space". This is a no smokers house and is list as such!  I talked to her about it she said that she wasn't smoking in the room, that the smell was coming from her pot pipe or her bag of marijuana. This happened 3 time and 3 time I had to totally clean out the pot smell from her room. In trying to resolve this with this guest I gave her a tin to keep her pot things in so it will keep out the smell. Also, she was putting dirty used silverware back the clean drawer, dishes as well and another guest complained to having gotten dirty sticky silverware from the drawer!  This person had also spilled food on the floor, I had to ask her to clean it up which she did, but she put the dirty towel back in the clean towel drawer and when I asked her about it she said she didn't know where to put it. There was another incident with her that is questionable to heavier drug use and liability issues,  that I finally asked this guest to leave and got AIRBNB involved. She was a 28 night stay and she left on the 21st stay. I am still waiting on AIRBNB's help on what to do about canceling her reservation without giving her a refund. Does anyone know what the policies are in this and what else besides listing these in the house rules and enforcing them! 

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry to hear of your difficult experience.

I believe if you ask Airbnb to cancel the guest booking because of infringement of house rules they will refund the guest.

You have been more than tolerant of this guests infringements, particularly as her behaviour has been impacting on your other guests.

it's unlikely the pot smell was simply coming from her having it in her room.

I was a little confused about your comment regarding the cancellation of the guests stay. Did Airbnb not cancel the booking before the guest left?

please leave an honest review to warn future hosts @Brenda372 

I had to call Airbnb to tell them I had to ask her to leave because of an incident. There was a possibility of another liability issue that would not be good. She told me that they called her and asked her to leave but did not cancel the reservation. I have been waiting on a return call with an open case~ 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

'I currently have a guest'....'She was a 28 night stay and she left on the 21st stay'....'waiting on AIRBNB's help on what to do about canceling her reservation without giving her a refund.' 

I am also confused.

IF she is gone and IF you got paid, do nothing, till further notice.

Best scenario would be that you never hear from this character or from Airbnb and everyone should be happy.

Robin925
Level 5
Albuquerque, NM

I would just give her a refund, and thank her for the stay. Change the reservation maybe? This guest was not doing anything that would permanently damage the listing. Even a nice apology to the other guest is better than the bad energy that such hosting drama can bring. IF the guest in question was younger she probably is just in her own world, or has problems, or part of a generation that disrespects others. My thoughts. I think it could be worse.

Thank you for your insite, the major problem was an incident that happened that could of been a liability presently or in the future that I HAD to ask her to leave. 

@Brenda372  

Guest initiates an early termination of the booking =  normal cancellation policy applies.

Host initiates the early termination =  guest must be refunded for the unused nights.

Sometimes there's an exception when there's an extremely flagrant rule violation, but this is not one of those times.

Thank you for that info!