Host cancels - what happens

Ben3422
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Host cancels - what happens

Are there any hosts out there with experience of what happens at the moment if as host you cancel a booking that qualifies under the  current EC policy?

I have a booking where the guest has asked me to cancel their booking because the event they were going to  attend has been cancelled.  I've asked them a few times to cancel from their end, (and explained  the Airbnb policy that if they do they'll  get a full refund) but they don't get back to me. I would like the dates off  my calendar so that I can host a longer 'first responder' stay. The EC policy says there are no penalties for hosts who cancel at the moment, but if I try to cancel then the Airbnb system tells me that, along with  other penalties, the dates will remain blocked - which would make it pointless my canceling.

Thanks for any advice. 

1 Reply 1
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Ben3422 I would not risk cancelling from your end unless you contact airbnb and have them cancelling for you penalty free. I tried to do the same as you, but also got all these warnings, so did not take the risk as reports on the forum said many were penalized regardless of the new policy. In the end I got the guest to cancel from their end, explaining them that it would be in their interest to do so.