Host covid restrictions

Denis130
Level 5
Lincoln City, OR

Host covid restrictions

How are you fellow hosts addressing Covid 19 as far as guest bookings?  Are you asking for some sort of shot record to validate they have have had a Covid vaccine shot or some other record of recently being tested for Covid and found A-symptomatic?

18 Replies 18
Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Denis130 I host a room in my main residence as well, so this has  been a concern through the pandemic.

I stopped hosting for a while, as I work in a hospital that had active cases. I have now been lucky enough to receive both doses of the vaccine.  I am also no longer having direct contact with positive patients, but still find it necessary to take all precautions. At present we do not have enough long term viable research to accurately know how well and how long the vaccine actual protects the individual. 

A few things I implement at present are:

-Screening people really well, so I have a good idea of what they are doing in the area, people they may be around, etc.

-I cater to longer term bookings. I stopped accepting as many short term booking, as the constant stream of people posses a higher risk.  My last booking was a month, and my current is 6 weeks.

-I require all guests to wear masks when in common areas. I make sure that I specify this in my welcome message, and they agree.  I also put provide masks and sanitizer for guests to use at will.

-I practice distancing, and only use common areas when necessary.

-I sanitize everything on a daily basis.

As far as requiring people to be tested or provide proof of receiving the vaccine, this will never be plausible in my opinion, nor can you legally ask people to disclose their medical records in order to make a booking.

As far as being asymptomatic, 90% of my positive patients were asymptomatic,  if we were not serial testing we would have never known they had contacted the virus. So I would recommend never relying on a person being symptom free as a means of determining they are covid free. The vaccine is being distributed at such varying rates around the world, theoretically it could be well towards the end of this year or even the beginning of next till most of the population has received it.  

@Jennifer1897 Thanks for your input.  Your methods are the type I was looking for.

Cheers.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Denis130  My listings are in Maine, which requires visitors to show proof of a negative test within 72 hours of their arrival.  I tell the guests of this requirement and most of them get tested and fill out the certificate. 

Sinjin0
Level 2
Durango, CO

We have the fortunate situation of being fully booked from now until mid-September. Given the rate of vaccinations so far, we feel like we would like to require proof of vaccination for any FUTURE bookings. We feel it is both responsible for us (my partner and I are fully vaccinated) as well as for society's movement towards herd immunity and fully re-opening, that we encourage that choice.

I am contemplating putting some statements to that effect in our listing copy. My assumption is that most people who would be avoiding getting a vaccine would simply move along to the next listing (again, this is for reservations past mid-september) but if someone wanted to push back I guess we have that conversation then.

Thoughts?