Host entered “entire place” apartment while I wasn’t there without notifying me.

Host entered “entire place” apartment while I wasn’t there without notifying me.

So today me and my girlfriend came back to the apartment we’re staying in and when I go to unlock the door I realize the deadbolt wasn’t locked. Weird, because I specifically remembered locking both locks when we left earlier in the day, even tried opening the door as we left in the morning to make sure the deadbolt was engaged.

So I walk into the apartment kind of creeped out, and make sure all our stuff is still there thinking someone maybe broke in. 
That’s when I notice that there’s light visible from underneath the locked door at the back of the apartment, the room I assume is the master bedroom. This light wasn’t on the night before, so now I know for sure that someone’s been in the apartment while we were gone and left that light on. And they had to walk through the space we’re staying in and all of our belongings and valuables to get to that room. (By the way, there was no mention of this inaccessible room in the listing. Description only said we had the entire apartment to ourselves) 

So I message the host and she responds back to me 4 hours later, saying she spilled a drink on herself and came into the apartment to get new clothes. She said she ‘meant to text us beforehand’ but never did. Sounds like a lame a** excuse to me. Seems to me like she thought she could slip in and out unnoticed and only fessed up once caught red handed. 

So my question is, should I file a claim and try and get some money back for a violation of privacy and technical “inaccurate listing”, or just let it go and move on. I feel low-key disrespected by the whole situation but at the same it’s an issue of principle more than anything else so I don’t know if I should take money out of her pocket for that alone. She seemed apologetic which makes me want to give her the benefit of the doubt, but at the same time it shows she knows she was in the wrong and chose to do it anyways.

I don’t want to be “that guy”, but I also don’t want my privacy invaded when I pay a premium for it.

What do y’all think?

10 Replies 10

@Leroy31 If the intrusion made you feel unsafe or violated to the extent that you want to terminate your booking early, you can request a refund for the unused nights. But there is certainly no provision in the terms of service that you're somehow entitled to money back if you choose to complete your stay. That would be ridiculous.

The host should have informed you that she would be entering the property - mostly as a matter of common courtesy rather than any specific policy. She made a bad call. But that doesn't mean she owes you money. 

I payed the premium to rent this entire apartment because I wanted privacy. If she's gonna walk through the apartment to get to her room then it's more like a shared space, which isn't what I paid for. I could file a claim under the 'inaccurate listing' clause of the refund policy for that reason. Since it seems like a one time situation, I won't be. If it happens again I will.

I don't think it's "ridiculous" to expect the level of privacy I paid for. But hey, you're always entitled to your opinion 😉

@Leroy31 You posted asking for opinions. You got one, but you don’t like it... which makes me wonder why you actually posted.

Re. this: “I could file a claim under the 'inaccurate listing' clause of the refund policy” can you post a link to that please? Like @Anonymous I’m not aware of any policy that provides a refund for nights you used.

@Leroy31  I take it you still have a fair bit more time left in your booking? 

I presume you're referring to the Guest Refund Policy: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/544/

I don't think the "inaccurate listing" angle would be a fruitful approach. I can imagine Airbnb granting you an exemption from the host's cancellation policy if her unannounced entries were causing you to feel unsafe AND  you decided to leave early. But I wouldn't describe this as a "claim" akin to requesting compensation for damage. It would just be an opportunity to book a different listing without paying for the remaining nights. 

Fran2
Level 10
Launceston, Australia

A lot of hosts have “entire houses”, advertise it as such and lock off their private space. It’s  not included in the whole listing. I think there is an obligation to mention that there are rooms that will be locked and I don’t think it right that the space is entered by the host unless by prior arrangement. as for a refund, if you want one, you need to leave immediately and contact AIrbnb. You can’t keep staying on!

@Fran2 

I'm very hesitant to post this on the forum, for fear it will encourage scamming guests, but as there aren't many guests on the CC anyway, I'm still going to post it because it's crucial that hosts are aware of this. Most believe that if a guest doesn't make a complaint within 24hrs of arrival, and/or give the host a chance to rectify, then the guest doesn't qualify for a refund. Not so, anymore. 

This is a recent addendum to the Guest Refund Policy... 

3. Conditions For Making A Claim. 

(f) in order to receive a reimbursement of Total Fees or assistance with booking an alternative Accommodation, you must agree to vacate the Accommodation. If you choose to stay in the Accommodation, you may still qualify for a partial refund at Airbnb’s discretion as described in this policy (regardless of whether you reported the Travel Issue up to 24 hours after check-in).

So they can complete the stay, mention nothing about an (alleged) issue until check-out time (or later), and still screw hosts out of a partial refund. 

@Susan17    Interesting.  I wonder why they bother with all the legalese when most of it amounts to (x)-(x) = a loss for hosts  and  (x)-(x) = a reward for guests.

Airbnb to guest: "Oh, you claim the suite has cockroaches, is unsafe AND has no beds, as advertised? But you are going to stay anyway. No worries, here's your refund from the host.  However, we will keep the entire service fee". 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

If this happened to me my reaction would be your second option: 'Let it go and move on.' I just don't have that kind of 'point fingers and demand money back' demeanor about me. Both as a guest and a host. I also have realistic expectations that someone else's home is never truly private. Airbnb hosts are not professionally trained. We all have different views of what is right and wrong.

But if you feel unsafe or extremely uncomfortable then you should not stay another night. Leave now and ask Airbnb to refund the nights you did not stay.

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I would call AIRBNB, look for a new accommodations, leave and then give an honest review of what happened. AIRBNB, with my experience, may refund you the money and try to help you find a new place, sometimes with a credit too.