Host refusing cancellation

Charlie417
Level 1
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Host refusing cancellation

Hey! I was wondering if anyone could help with a problem I’ve been having for over a year now. 

I was due to stay in a lodge in Wales on 27th March 2020, although on 23rd March we went into our first lockdown in the UK. As soon as I heard the news I contacted the host to cancel, which they replied to saying I wasn’t allowed and instead I have to rebook.

They then said they have no availability for 2020 and instead I have to wait until 2021 and I’d have to pay for an extra night as they had since changed their minimum night stay. 

I’ve tried to rebook multiple times but they’re not replying/helping and I’m getting nowhere. They also marked my  original reservation as ‘completed’ so it’s making it harder for me to find out a way to get a refund/rebook. 

It’s really stressing me out as it’s a lot of money to me. 

Does anyone know what I can do? Any advice would be hugely appreciated, thanks! 

5 Replies 5
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

So, a couple of things, @Charlie417 . You are allowed to cancel, no matter what a host, or anyone, says, and if I'm remembering the timeline correctly, you would have received a full refund in those early pandemic days.

The stay is "marked as completed" by the system, since you didn't cancel. 

I don't know what to tell you about the now non-communicative host. Just keep trying? I don't think you will get any help from Customer Service, since as far as they are concerned you paid for a stay that  happened.

Does the host have a social media account for their listing maybe? Some do. You could look for that and try to get their attention that way? They did promise to rebook and should come through, but it looks like it will be up to you to keep at them. 

Good luck!

@Charlie417  As a guest, you always have the right to cancel. The host cannot prevent this. With limited information here, I'm guessing that what the host meant was that they weren't allowed to cancel, because Airbnb penalizes hosts for doing so. 

It's a moot point now, because the stay was never cancelled in any capacity. It wasn't the host that marked the stay as "completed" - that happens automatically from Airbnb if you don't follow the cancellation procedure. If you had placed the booking before 14 March, 2020, you would have been eligible for a full refund from Airbnb, if you had followed the instructions for extenuating circumstances. But any informal arrangement you make with a host outside of Airbnb's protocol is non-binding. That means it's really at the host's discretion whether to offer you new dates, give you money, or simply do nothing. 

At this point, this is no longer an Airbnb issue, since your rent is already paid out and you don't have an active booking in the system. I don't think there's any kind of help you can get from customer service at this point, a year and a half after the aborted stay. That leaves you with no leverage, so you'd have to persuade the host that you'd be a delightful guest to accommodate despite your stay bringing no additional income. That takes a special kind of charm which is instantly negated if you give the impression that you're trying to seize last year's paychecks. So if you want to pursue this, do keep in mind that while you only suffered the loss of some disposable income that you'd already allotted to a holiday, your host lost many months of income to the lockdowns and probably hasn't recovered enough yet to start throwing money at would-be guests from last year.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Actually in the UK hosts were allowed to cancel during the lockdown once government legislation came in which meant we couldn't host

@Charlie417  I am sorry Charlie your host behaved appallingly and should have helped you facilitate cancelling the booking penalty free so you could be refunded.

But you could also have checked on the Airbnb website or called Airbnb to find out how to go about cancelling under their EC policy for Covid. And then contacted Airbnb to arrange a penalty free cancellation.

Your host is definitely in the wrong here and I absolutely don't believe they had no availability in 2020.

I agree look to see if they advertise their place on social media or other channels and contact them publicly on it to ask about a refund/availability (although why would you want to stay there).

Taking them to small claims is another option. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Charlie417  That booking fell into the time period when Airbnb was giving full refunds for Covid-related cancellations. It's water under the bridge, but you should have contacted Airbnb at the time. Or if you had just gone ahead and cancelled, there was actually a button then for guests to click on indicating the cancellation was due to Covid regs.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Charlie417 I think all you can do is take the host to the small claims court. By not refunding you they broke the laws of England and Wales but you did yourself no favours by not cancelling at the time. 

It might be worth trying Airbnb to see if they will help but it is probably too late as they won't be able to tell if you turned up or not unless all your messages are on their system.