Host unwilling to help return forgotten item- how do I proceed?

Miranda189
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

Host unwilling to help return forgotten item- how do I proceed?

I recently stayed at a place in Guatemala City and realized I left an iPad charging in the room as soon as I got to the airport, when it was just too late to go back and get it before my flight to Costa Rica. The place is only a few minutes drive from the airport, and I assumed that at least I could transfer the host money and it would be fairly straightforward for them to send it back to the US (where I live) by courier for me. I even left a positive review of the host, as our stay had been pleasant and I felt that it would be in good faith to do so. At first the host responded promptly, letting me know the tablet was there and that they'd wait for instruction from me about when a courier would pick it up. Unfortunately, she said she was too busy to leave the home to send it, and her property manager/assistant who had facilitated our stay did not have a car, nor a phone number that I can reach her at. (We never did meet the host face to face, she stayed inside another room across the hall from us and communicated through her property manager to deal with us instead.) I found out that a box could potentially be delivered but the host would have to print an invoice to include with the iPad for customs. The host told me they do not have a printer and then added that she is no longer in the country. (Strange, considering she previously stated that she couldn't leave her home because she taught dance classes on the hour all day.) All of this happened while I was still on vacation in Costa Rica. Now I am back home in the US and have been informed by different courier companies that a door-to-door pickup service from Guatemala to the US is impossible. I believe this means the only way I can get the tablet back is for my former host to physically go to a courier (the airport is incredibly close to her home) and send it for me. At this point I'm a bit nervous to send money to her as incentive, since she clearly does not wish to continue dealing with the situation. The tablet belongs to a friend so I am very concerned about its return. Is there any recourse for me in this situation? I can't even review her now.

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Pretty major item to leave behind, @Miranda189  and now you are dealing with a host that does not have the same sense of urgency as you do.  I wonder if you can offer an incentive for her or her designee to take the time to expedite sending the Ipad.  One issue is you don't trust her and she doesn't trust you, so you need to find a way for her to not have to spend money in advance and you can confirm the amount needed to have the package delivered.  If you agree to a separate incentive, you need to have a way for it to be provided after you receive the package and she needs proof it will be provided.

Basically it is your problem, not hers, but you are making it her problem.  Diplomacy is needed in these situations.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I’d keep after it, offering whatever incentive you can afford.  I left an Ipad in a taxi in that part of the world once, and was told by the taxi company “I’m sorry, no one has seen it”.  Never did get it back.

I’d also disable your Ipad, and put a message on the screen offering your incentive to anyone that will help.  If you google it, there are instructions for how to do this remotely.

-Pat

Lindsay302
Level 2
Kingston, CA

Could you have a prepaid shipping label and customs documents shipped to her? 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Miranda189 i think unfortunately once you left your review, host lost all interest in helping you. Perhaps you can call airbnb and ask if when you send money through the airbnb platform, can you recall it if the host does not come through with shipping. I also like @Lindsay302 idea of mailing her the label. I am sure they have internet cafes with printers, she is just unwilling to do anything for you. You should also be able to ask Airbnb for the host's phone number. If diplomacy completely fails, you may try to take another route and let her know that you will report the incident to local police. Perhaps you can say you need to do it for insurance purposes so it does not sound like a threat but hopefully it will move her to return it.