How can we get meaningful change where it is required.

Answered!
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

How can we get meaningful change where it is required.

dcrn740_hi 2.jpg

For as long as I have been a contributor here the same hosting issues keep coming up month after month.

Revenge reviews: The guest has had a disagreement with a host and extracts revenge in the review process. We have been told that this issue has been addressed by the development team but, nothing has changed, weekly we see posts complaining of revenge reviews.

Bookings for blocked dates: One contributor in July 2017 complained that guests were allowed to book calendar blocked dates and that thread has had a steady stream of similar posts right up until today.

Hosts listing suspended without consultation: Guest lodges a complaint that the host has undisclosed security cameras which can easily be verified as a false statement, but the hosts listing is suspended.

HPS/Aircover not addressing hosts claims as advertised: Each week we see posts from hosts who claim Airbnb's compensation scheme has abandoned them.

Daily we see these same issues, many reviving threads that were started back as far as 2015, yet almost weekly we see changes to the programming that nobody has complained about and no notice of alteration given.

This Community Centre has established to provide the company with user feedback.....can I respectfully suggest that the company take action on aspects of the platform that do pose hosting issues instead of making changes to those aspects that do not!

Cheers........Rob

1 Best Answer
Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

Today I used the search for the first time since the new updates.

It only wanted me to search by weekend or by week and offered me some £62000 7 night options in England (even though I was searching in Scotland) and many other off the scale priced properties popping up at the top of the page.  

I gave up - it was too frustrating. I’m sure many other potential guests are abandoning their searches and heading to other platforms.

31 Replies 31
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Robin4

If they don't change the search function back to the way it was, most hosts won't have to worry about what you've listed above because they won't have any guests! Maybe that is Airbnb's solution. That's it, they were simply trying to solve all those problems hosts had by taking away the guests. Voila. Problems solved! SMH.

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

Today I used the search for the first time since the new updates.

It only wanted me to search by weekend or by week and offered me some £62000 7 night options in England (even though I was searching in Scotland) and many other off the scale priced properties popping up at the top of the page.  

I gave up - it was too frustrating. I’m sure many other potential guests are abandoning their searches and heading to other platforms.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Amanda660 Are you using a computer or the app. On my computer, apart from seeing a lot of very expensive properties on the first page, I can search by location, date, number of people etc. just like before. Also I can say I am flexible by a few days on the dates input. 

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Yes Mike, if you are very specific with your search by using filter after filter you can limit your search options to the type of property you desire. 

But most guests don't search that way Mike, they are not fore warned with the knowledge we now have. The last thing they want to see when they jump on a search page is properties starting at about $2,736 reduced from $3,410.00 and suddenly realise this is a weekly fee.......and they only want to stay 2 nights. They want to see a hosts past history to see how accomplished, sought after and reliable they are without having to jump in and out of individual listings.

Mike, searching is not simple any more, sure if you know how the program works it's ok, but the evidence of what is happening is mounting here all the time.....guests are not looking any more because they are not being given the information they want. Put yourself in the guests shoes for a while!

Cheers..........Rob

@Mike-And-Jane0  People simply want to be able to search without any dates chosen, like before.

Now the only option is Any week, Any weekend or exact dates or e.d. +-x days. You may think that's enough options but it isn't. For example, @Fred13  has min and max 6 nights because he needs 1 day in between bookings for cleaning and maintenance. So he doesn't fit into the "Any week" or "Any weekend" category. Also, someone will hardly find his listing using exact dates because he is booked 2 years in advance. So, after new changes, Fred's island becomes invisible on Airbnb. I am sure he isn't the only one with 6 nights min-max stays.

@Robin4  you can ad "Pet fee" to your list of requested changes. After so many years Airbnb did introduce a pet fee option but in an unusable way. Better if they didn't.

You can also ad hidden House rules and additional rules to the list.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Now they still call it 'Any Week', but only requires 5 days (not 7). So now (I suppose) everyone is somewhat 'available' that much earlier. I had someone move from this August just now to next year, so I now my next-available is August 9th-14th until someone grabs it, after that who knows.

Smart suggestion ladies. 

@Fred13   I didn't know ABB changed 7 days to 5 days, that's great.  It gives us a tiny hope they will eventually make some other useful changes as well 🙂

Not only that, they changed a month to 28 days. So I had a guest coming for 3rd-31st December, most popular - Advent time in Zagreb, and Airbnb applied 40% discount, as they counted it as a monthly stay.  I was furious, but there was nothing I could do, because 28 days for them is a whole month (February, ok yes, but December???).

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ana7 

Ana, I made this exact point in another post this last week! Every time Airbnb makes changes to its programming it catches us hosts off guard and we get screwed, it either costs us money or we end up in a fight with a guest.

Airbnb have no right to change the goalposts and expect the host to pay the consequences.

The other one that crops up frequently....."Airbnb changed the number of beds in my listing from 3 to 7".

If this has happened to you and you complain that your listing details were changed without your knowledge or authorisation, their stock reply is..."The onus is on the host to make sure their listing details are correct at all times"! 

RUBBISH! It's up to Airbnb to maintain the integrity of the listing details as provided by the host! The host should not be held responsible for Airbnb's glitches.....period!

Cheers.......Rob

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ana7 

I don't believe that is correct. I have hosted long term stays since I started using Airbnb and, as far back as I can remember, 28 days+ counted as a long term stay and the discount (if you have one) applies as does the long term cancellation policy. This is not a recent change.

Also, I'm not sure why you have such a huge discount for monthly stays though. Mine is set at 15% and guests seem happy with that.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Robin4 

Is it the HAB (Host Advisory Board) sitting at the tabe in the picture ?  🤔

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Emiel1 

I doubt that the HAB would sit around a table and try to invent with ways to frustrate guest search options and destroy a hosts business.

I was thinking more along the lines of the advertising/marketing department Emiel!

Cheers.........Rob

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

The "revenge review" may be cooking for me at this very moment. I have a couple staying with their "service dog." Guess what it is not? Yep, it is not a service dog (as defined by U.S. ADA).  Now, guess how I know? Yep, she called it an emotional support dog. Plus, it doesn't stay with her. 

But the REAL problem was her expression when I said I do not provide access to my personal refrigerator to guests, nor do I allow guests in my kitchen. I would, however, allow her to microwave their dinner and I provided a large cooler with ice for the food they are traveling to Ohio with. 

My listing does not say guests have access to my kitchen. It does not list a refrigerator or microwave for guest use. But most of us know guests don't read the full listing. 

So when I get a low rating for "value" or "overall quality" because of things I do not offer, and never promised, I have zero recourse. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Robin129 

Robin, we have a dog, she loves guests and they love her, I even include a photo of her in my listing photos. But I do not allow dogs. In more than 600 guest stays I have never come across a guest who required the service of a dog......sure I have come across plenty that would like to bring them, but none that need them.

Lets look at a scenario.......

Can you imagine the situation where a guest wants to take a 21 night cruise and they want to take their emotional support dog along with them. All major cruise lines will not accept working dogs in training, or emotional support dogs. They will only accept fully registered support dogs with documentation as to the disability and the duties the dog is to perform. Only one Cruise line will accept pet dogs or emotional support dogs and that is Cunard Line following a century long tradition but, it will only accept pet dogs on it's transatlantic service between Southampton and NY.

So lets not have any of this stuff where by law we are obligated to take an emotional support animal.....we are not!  We are only obligated to accept a registered service dog if it does not compromise the operation of our business. 

Some people are allergic to dog hair. Guest do not have duty to disclose their allergies when booking or during their stay. I, as a host have a duty to provide a comfortable safe environment for my guests and for that reason will not accept a guest with a dog. I point out my listing is not specifically a disabled friendly listing as it does have steps and does not have wide doorways or disability service rails and I suggest if a physical disability support dog is required my listing will not be a good fit for them. I am not refusing them, I am saying my listing is not equipped for their comfort and safety and another listing may better suit their requirements. 

The other reason I do not accept dogs is......they fall into two categories....

A/.....They are the size of roadwork machinery, and they do about as much damage to the property.

B/.....They are little more than 'a bladder with 4 legs' and spend much of the stay proving it!

Dogs create damage their owners accept but don't take responsibility for, but they expect the hapless host to go along with that.

Robin, you do not have to automatically accept a dog no matter what it is classified as.

Cheers........Rob